Violence in Doom: How long till media up in arms again?

DooBall said:
www.MAVAV.org Mothers Against Videogame Addiction and Violence

I can't decide if I think that site is a joke or not. It's just serious enough to keep me from believing that it is a parody of some kind.

I'm going to e-mail them to politely ask where they got some of their statistics and assertions.

This part is my favourite: "Hardcore gamers never buy computer videogames. Instead, downloading illegally copied videogames or “warez” is the only method acceptable by the underground. Buying a legit copy is grounds for abandonment by community groups."

Yogi said:
I can't decide if I think that site is a joke or not. It's just serious enough to keep me from believing that it is a parody of some kind.

I'm going to e-mail them to politely ask where they got some of their statistics and assertions.

This part is my favourite: "Hardcore gamers never buy computer videogames. Instead, downloading illegally copied videogames or “warez” is the only method acceptable by the underground. Buying a legit copy is grounds for abandonment by community groups."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..............hey when you do get a email back with there statistics and assertions..PLZ POST THEM

As I'm looking at that site to put together specific questions, I'm really starting to wonder if the site is a parody. The way they insult gamers and make such sweeping assertions makes me think that it's a joke. (Like www.Landoverbaptist.org for example)

And if it is serious, I have to think my chances of getting a reply are slim, as it doesn't look like the site has been updated in a while.

they are serious, it just shows how sad and dumb and bored people really are

wish we could use image sigs here... i wouldnt mind rocking the mavav banner in my sig

Same old debate. I have no doubt that there are indeed crimes to be blamed on violent video games. Problem is for someone to be influenced by videogames to that level then it's either because they have little contact with the world outside videogames (blame the parents for a lousy education), because there's some kind of psychological imbalance already present (blame nature) or more probably all of the above.

I mean if I spend all my life eating nothing but bananas and develop health problems becuse of it am i going to demand bananas stop being sold to the public? or if i'm allergic to penicilin and die because i get a shot at a hospital are we going to ban penicilin? or maybe ban hospitals?

Unfortunately it's much easier to blame someone else for things where we have the greatest responsibility, and indeed such behaviour is promoted in the society we live in, or to accept that sometimes accidents are noone's fault but merely the consequence of an unlucky conjuction of events.

i would like to see them mavav fucks post here
course they wouldn't cause they have no grounds for there argument

and also i am sitting at my desk at work with 2 copies of doom3 sitting on each side of my desk...everyone who has come for some kinda comp help has seen these and where like oooooo ahhhhhh.......scarey.......

Yogi said:

It's a joke site...this was debated many many moons ago :p

WickedAngel said:
This whole argument about violent games making violent people is nonsense. I've played violent games since I was fairly young and, though desensitized, I'm a perfectly normal guy.

Plus, I haven't killed any puppies or children in...like...two hours.

:D Made me laugh.

this is great

Computer Education Excellent
English Poor
Mathematics Poor
Science Poor
Social Studies Poor
Physical Education Poor

Danger: Do videogames make people violent?
Yes. What was once a debatable question, is now fact. New research has concluded that videogame violence and behavior related violence are in fact closely related.

Danger: Do videogames teach people how to kill?
Yes. When videogames were linked to the Columbine high school shooters, a frenzy of new research was launched, in which, one team of researchers discovered that first person shooter games do indeed teach gamers with the basic knowledge of how to kill. This research arrived be so conclusive that the U.S. government Army developed a free videogame to be used as a virtual boot camp and killing simulator.

i would really like to see where they are getting there FACTS if this was a real site...i think it's a joke to but i donno...kinda funny i think

goku238 said:
It's a joke site...this was debated many many moons ago :p

How was that discovered for sure? It's not nearly as obvious as most joke sites. Most parodies gove tell-tale signs so that people can know they are fake.

I was hoping someone would see that :p

I'm the one that wrote it and I still crack up when I read it.

Back