Vintage Oscilloscope @ the Rummage Sale

Hello all....I am new to this forum. I pose you all this question....

I got this guy last weekend for $3. It's roughly the size of medium AT-style case. I saw it and man, I just knew it could be something! I've got a few ideas, but I'd love to hear opinions/suggestions about this.

Thanks,

RNS

PS - If I didn't get the picture on here right, then it should be down below eventually....
post-87-1081389319.jpg

Very cool looking. Can you get actual dimensions for us? You could do something like a m-ATX or other small system in the case. Alternately, a self contained watercooling unit with all of thos knobs!

Are you crazy? does it work? I wouldn't tear it up if it works.. looks like a good oscilliscope.

Yes it is beautiful....but, alas, it is non-working. The cathode is shot and who ever owned it before was trying to do something with it because there are loose wires all over the place. I was able to salvage some tubes out of it though. Just want to give it new life!

RNS

that is sweet....ide make a killer sff case out of it...throw a small lcd panel behind where the cathode tube is...have some kind of animated desktop playing that looks like a osc animaiton...have it set up with a custom res and run samurize and stuff on it......ide tyr to figure out some way to have all the knobs working also...even in some kind of momentary sence, wired up to act as a keypad and running through a small matrix orbital lcd...have each one assigned to a letter and used for turing the gpo's on and off...obviously you could use most of the large ones for power, reset, lights on off..lcd on off etc....so many posibilities

I must be one of the few people around old enough to think about it, but... you could make a KILLER version of HAL 9000 from 2001 A Space Odyssey with that case.

hal.jpg

I've got one just like that, but it still works great.
I got mine out of the garbage at a company I worked for.
3 bucks is a great deal for one working or not, as they are highly prized by electronic geeks (like me I guess).
I bet it would make a killer case.
Heh, I always think of HAL 9000 when I use it,
so you're not the only one. I remember seeing that movie in the theatre. :)

Originally posted by 8Complex
I must be one of the few people around old enough to think about it, but... you could make a KILLER version of HAL 9000 from 2001 A Space Odyssey with that case.

hal.jpg

lol that would be great - "open the cd draw HAL !!!"

I thought about HAL, but I love the crosshairs. The knobs are gonna be my biggest obstacle. I want every one of them to function. LCD behind the grid is what I had planned. Running stats/ visualizations, etc. And lighting up the grid with a nice LED.

Anyways...

The most obvious use I can think of for the knobs is fan speed control as well as Volume control (I saw a guide on how to mod your soundblaster to create external volume controls). But yeah, that'd make a super sick case :)

good lucj and create a worklog for sure when you've decided what to do

Peace

I'm planning on documenting it all. That's why I took pics to show you all and get my first pics. I gutted it last night. Unless I go w/ a mini-itx or mATX, I'll have to make a new frame. I'll get some pics of the leftovers soon. Here's a side-shot of the external case. It's the same on both sides w/ the vents. And that is a nice leather handle.
post-87-1081389385.jpg

Originally posted by Perrupa
The most obvious use I can think of for the knobs is fan speed control as well as Volume control (I saw a guide on how to mod your soundblaster to create external volume controls). But yeah, that'd make a super sick case :)

good lucj and create a worklog for sure when you've decided what to do

Peace

Hey if you could remember where that volume control mod was that'd be great!

Thanks,

RNS

Originally posted by beamrider
Nice, Dad's got an identical one in the basement at home, still works too!

Well then clean it up and learn how to use it. But don't kill it if it's still got life!
;)

Back