Vintage Doom Mail Order

Oh man, I used to love Electronics Boutique. I used to go there like several times per week and just walked around looking at the cool PC game box art.

This was by far my favorite box, still not sure why I never bought the game myself even though I loved it so much.

View attachment 226965

You can buy that one new, sealed on ebay. Which did, and it's awesome.

You guys remember having to configure your dialup modem to play coop/vs on Doom? I still can't remember how my friend and I figured it out, without the use of any search engine.

Reactions: Halon
like this
You guys remember having to configure your dialup modem to play coop/vs on Doom? I still can't remember how my friend and I figured it out, without the use of any search engine.

A lot of us were saved by baseline Hayes modern compatibility, and the patience to read the documentation that came with Doom and our hardware. Sometimes I’d take three or four different modem init strings and write them down, then try sequentially until it worked. We’ve been spoiled by how straightforward always-on TCP/IP is by comparison. But back then it’s just what you had to do. Once in a while I’d haul my system over to a friend’s with a null modem cable; by comparison that was a lag-minimal piece of cake.

You guys remember having to configure your dialup modem to play coop/vs on Doom?
I'll be honest, I never could figure it out. Sad cause I really did want to play with my buddy but it was beyond us at the time.

I remember the days of War dialing on 300 baud modems in the early 80s...Dialing into BBS servers in Germany on Commodore 64s to DL games for it... listening to the lovely 5.25" Commodore drive sounds as new data was being written and then waiting for a bad ass Psygnosis game to load soon after.

Back