• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Vigor Super Monsoon TEC worthy?

Shift85

n00b
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
49
I've been looking at replacing my xp-90 and my panaflo for some time now and I ran across THIS

Has anyone ever used one of these and is the pictured product complete? I'm a newbie to any type of extreme cooling solutions and I've been doing some searching and I thought peltier cooling was more complicated than this. It just seems to be too good to be true.

Also I see that this thing eats up 60watts from my psu and I had planned on getting a new one soon anyway. Would a 550watt Antec do the job assuming I will be getting a new x2 and (eventually) another 7800gtx?

Any info, idea's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
look at the specs

maximum power consumption of 60watts at load. Even if its 100% effecient that would still be a pretty poor tec.
 
I see...But for price is it even worth the money, considering the fact that I dont have to learn how to create one myself?
 
I'd say its not worth it. It doesn't look like anything special to me - the heatsink it uses isn't even very large. So I would be surprised if it showed very much improvement over standard air cooling anyway. So for the same money you could have the satisfaction/education of doing it yourself and possibly better results.
 
Shift85 said:
I've been looking at replacing my xp-90 and my panaflo for some time now and I ran across THIS

Has anyone ever used one of these and is the pictured product complete? I'm a newbie to any type of extreme cooling solutions and I've been doing some searching and I thought peltier cooling was more complicated than this. It just seems to be too good to be true.

Also I see that this thing eats up 60watts from my psu and I had planned on getting a new one soon anyway. Would a 550watt Antec do the job assuming I will be getting a new x2 and (eventually) another 7800gtx?

Any info, idea's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i like its look.. i wanna try one before i buy one ;)

RawsonDR said:
I'd say its not worth it. It doesn't look like anything special to me - the heatsink it uses isn't even very large. So I would be surprised if it showed very much improvement over standard air cooling anyway. So for the same money you could have the satisfaction/education of doing it yourself and possibly better results.

Depends what system its going on, to me... that looks like a HUGE one for a 370 outfit.. but right now looking at it makes it look like a mid-size Socket 939

147 bucks isnt that bad. but still i am overhauling my network to include a second AP/Router for better coverage and so i can move my computer out of the office. too many computers in the office.. oy..
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The way I see it, its gotta be smaller than your XP-90 right? So you'd be switching to a higher heat load with a smaller cooling capacity. Now I don't have any personal experience with TEC so I'm curious to know how it would do as well. But my perception is that peltier's aren't exactly efficient (meaning the proc side won't get as cool as the HS side gets hot in terms of total heat energy), and if that's true then you won't necessarily see any gain in temps.

I hope someone that knows will chime in. Hopefully some people from the Extreme Cooling Solutions subforum will notice this thread.
 
RawsonDR said:
The way I see it, its gotta be smaller than your XP-90 right? So you'd be switching to a higher heat load with a smaller cooling capacity. Now I don't have any personal experience with TEC so I'm curious to know how it would do as well. But my perception is that peltier's aren't exactly efficient (meaning the proc side won't get as cool as the HS side gets hot in terms of total heat energy), and if that's true then you won't necessarily see any gain in temps.

I hope someone that knows will chime in. Hopefully some people from the Extreme Cooling Solutions subforum will notice this thread.

TEC is ok. its just best used with water cooling. but TEC isnt a lightweight itself, it just needs a good form of transportation to get the amount of heat its pulling off fast enough.

so it looks good but it needs to be in my hands for me to see if it would do better.

Other than that i'd just put on a phase-change cooler.

and yes it looks smaller than a XP-90.. but do you have a fan on your XP-90?

(for those who dont know an XP-90 is a Heatsink made by thermalright that can be found at xoxide.com) XP-90 Linkage

Edit: I just looked at it and the HSF with the TEC's Heat sink is poorly made in my oppinion, there are very few fins, and their thick. this means that the fan has to work harder to get the heat off of the fins. it they were numerous and thin the fan has to effortlessly blow to remove the heat. try heating up aluminum foil and then heat up a spoon.. which one stays hotter longer? the aluminum foil should cool off in seconds.. (physics lesson) the fins have more matter which retain more heat. thats why when you boil water in a small pot it takes less time than a big pot. then thats why small pots stop boiling faster when you cut off the stove and big pots cool down a little slower. its somehting about kenetic energy..meh i didnt pay that much attention in physical science..
 
that stupid cooler is crap. there is no way in hell that it will keep you cooler than a good air cooler will.

that thing puts a lot of extra load on your PSU, dumps a lot of waste heat into your case, and since pelts only generate a usefull temperature gradient across the two sides when they are at pumping less than 50% of their rated maximum load, that cooler is only going to be usefull for a 30 watt proc........TONNES of those in desktop machines, right? :rolleyes:

someone recently put that cooler up in watercooling as well. no one else felt the need to say anything after i delivered a pretty similar commentary on it then.

swiftech tried an air cooled TEC solution years ago. they first tried a 80 watt for s370 procs, and then upped the ante with a bigger, more widely compatible, heatsink and a 226 watt pelt. neither worked well without a really high powered fan, and the performance level was not good enough to justify the added complications, expense and noise.
 
MediaRocker said:
Edit: I just looked at it and the HSF with the TEC's Heat sink is poorly made in my oppinion, there are very few fins, and their thick. this means that the fan has to work harder to get the heat off of the fins. it they were numerous and thin the fan has to effortlessly blow to remove the heat. try heating up aluminum foil and then heat up a spoon.. which one stays hotter longer? the aluminum foil should cool off in seconds.. (physics lesson) the fins have more matter which retain more heat. thats why when you boil water in a small pot it takes less time than a big pot. then thats why small pots stop boiling faster when you cut off the stove and big pots cool down a little slower. its somehting about kenetic energy..meh i didnt pay that much attention in physical science..
this is quite incorrect. you are totally confused about what a heatsink does, and how it does it. it doesn't matter how long it take the heatsink to heat up and cool down, just so long as it is able to conduct heat away from the precessor effectively, and then get that heat into the air. thick fins or thin, the goal is to create low-resistance paths for heat to flow along from the hot processor to the cooler air.

additionally, thin, densely packed fins are much harder to get air to flow through than nice, widely spaced fins. air moving past a surface encounters resistance, more surface more resistance, more fins more surface. heatsinks have closely packed fins because they get the best balance of surface area and air movement for getting rid of heat in a CPU's opperational temperature range, with modern fans. the fins are not packed closely to make it easier for the fan to blow.
 
Basically, no, since it's a 60watt pelt. In addition, the cooling system looks to be no better then a stock heatsink.
 
Talonz said:
Basically, no, since it's a 60watt pelt. In addition, the cooling system looks to be no better then a stock heatsink.

yeah 60w pelt is crapola... for the price you can get a TEC that was WAAYY more effective.
 
Back
Top