ViewSonic VX2729wm 1ms Review

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
adadad004.jpg

ViewSonic VX2739wm Product Page:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2739wm.htm

Using Eye One Match 3, the Eye One Display 2 colorimeter and BaICColor I calibrated the ViewSonic.

Default Settings 307cd/m2

Brightness: 100
Contrast: 70
R: 100
G: 100
Blue: 100

Default Brightness 307.55cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 992:1
Black Depth 0.31

Color Temperature 6100K

140cd/m2
22005.jpg

Brightness 60 Contrast 70
Brightness: 139.4
Contrast Ratio: 1162
Black Depth: 0.12 cd/m2

120cd/m2
22007.jpg

Brightness 49
Brightness 121.4cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 1104:1
Black Depth 0.11cd/m2

100cd/m2
22006.jpg

Brightness 43
Brightness 101.6cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 1123:1
Black depth 0.09cd/m2

Calibrated

Contrast/Brightness
Contrast: 82
Brightness: 50

brightness 103cd/m2
22018.jpg

contrast ratio: 792:1
black depth: 0.13cd/m2

22010.jpg

Color Adjust:
R: 69
G: 69
B: 77

Delta E 0.79
22015.jpg

Manual Image Adjust
Response Time: Advanced

The only way to get a good contrast/brightness balance according to Eye One Match 3 was with a brightness of 103cd/m2. However this is a positive thing, mostly due to the absolutely offensively horrendous backlight bleed.

The ViewSonic VX2739 achives a contrast ratio of 792:1 and a black depth of 0.13cd/m2 at 103cd/m2. These values are slightly higher than both the Acer G245H (0.11 @100cd/m2) and the Samsung PX2370 (0.12 @ 100cd/m2).

The ViewSonic is a total failure in terms of contrast performance due to the ridiculous potential it had before calibration. I was really hoping for a contrast ratio after calibration of around 1100:1.

Now for color accuracy. The Preset values are just plain offensive (6200K when set to the 6500k value) which is very disapointing sense both the Samsung PX2370 and Acer G245H had very accurate color presets (Acer G245H is the champ).

After calibration the color is great on paper. The picture is clear and natural, but doesn't stand out in any way. Colors look far more saturated on the Samsung PX2370. It doesn't look bad by any means, I am just used to better looking displays.

Actually achieving accurate colors is another story. I can see people smashing things when attempting calibration; it took me nearly 30 minutes of fiddling with the OSD to correct the color. Simply adjusting the R/G/B values would throw the color temp from 6200k to 7100k in an instant. As previously stated the Delta E results are great, (besting the PX2370 on paper) but the image quality is still lacking when set up next to the Samsung.

Response Time

Last time I tried duel the Samsung PX2370 vs Acer G245H using PixerPixAn I was unable to determine who was the clear winner (PX2370 losses when set to anything but Faster).

So I just tried Prad.De's red streaking box test:

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testsoftware/schlieren2.html

I observed No streaking or overdrive errors

and Digital Versus Ghosting Test (best way to see how a monitor will perform on all fronts IMO)
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6

The ViewSonic again disapoints. 1ms? Keep dreaming. The ViewSonic is noticeably slower than both the PX2370 and G245H. On the positive side it is hardly slower. I am sure TFT Central or Digital Versus will clarify that the ViewSonic is indeed not the fastest 60HZ panel on the market in upcoming reviews.

Pretty much anything I can wright about the response time is 100% subjective from here on. In movies I noticed no streaking/ghosting, but didn't play any games.

Reason being I don't want to play any games. The ViewSonic screams average at best and the backlight bleed is the worst I have ever seen on a LCD screen.
viewback003.jpg

In a bright daytime enviroment the bleed absolutely ruins movies (especially widescreen). I guess this should be expexted for such a large/cheap TN panel.

Add average contrast/black depth performance to the list of negatives and a 400$ price tag and you can completely waste your money.

Conclusion

27" Screen wow! Screen size does not equal better image quality, especially when plagued by such horrendous backlight bleed.

I am not saying the extra screen size isn't appreciated. Even the backlight bleed would't be so bothersome if the ViewSonic VX2739 lived up to it's initial contrast promise.

Buying the ViewSonic (IMO) is a complete waste of money. There are so many better and cheaper options out there, knowing this I truly dislike the panel. Will be returning it tommorrow. It's really a shame, just by looking at the numbers the ViewSonic is not a bad screen by any means.

1ms Response Time? Why not claim a 10,000,000:1 DCR as well?

+27" Screen
+Accurate color after frustrating calibration process
+Very Responsive
+Ergonomics (Best on a TN panel yet?)
+Good contrast/black depth performance after calibration (but still average)
+Good performance for fullscreen movies/games that aren't dark
-Amazing initial contrast promise for a TN, but disapointingly average contrast results
-Very hard to calibrate with the OSD
-Inaccurate color presets
-Even when calibrated the VX2739 lacks decent color saturation, colors don't stand out at all
-Worst backlight bleed I have encountered on a LCD
-Backlight bleed ruins many movies/games/pictures
-Don't even think about watching widescreen movies
-Average overall performance, only way to be properly calibrated is with low brightness settings
-I see no point in purchasing this screen when there as a huge slew of better (but smaller) panels
+/-? 400$ for a 27" monitor is a good deal in theory
+/-? Average Joe will love the ViewSonic VX2739

Overall:

6/10

If you have 400$ to spend and are a hardcore gamer get the120hz Acer G235HZ or Dell U2311.

Acer G235HZ Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-7352-38.html

Dell U2311
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

Updated:

Ironically it seems the ViewSonic has black crush in the Ruse trailer when hooked up the the Xbox 360, where as the Samsung PX2370's black value (HDMI black level set to Low) is reduced but is still the clear winner. Games look quite lifeless and dull on the 360 like Lost Planet 2, however the HD-DVD play back of Constantine was quite good other than the backlight bleed (I am not good enough at taking pictures to capture it properly).

ViewSonic Ruse Trailer (Xbox 360)
viewsonicconstantine003.jpg

Samsung PX2370 (Xbox 360)
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj118/NCX123/PX2370/pxvsmx005.jpg

Constantine HD-DVD ViewSonic VX2739 (Xbox 360)
viewsonicconstantine006.jpg

Constantine DVD Samsung PX2370 (PC)
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj118/NCX123/PX2370/constantinedvd003.jpg

Response Time

While noticeably not as fast as the Samsung PX2370 or the Acer G245H the response time is still very good. I took 5 pictures and the "worst result," came up the most, however when the Cat is actually moving it looks more like the "Best," result.

Best:
vr002.jpg

Worst:
vr003.jpg

vr001.jpg

Last edited:
Seems I am finished for now. Can a mod please edit the title? It's the VX2739 not VX2729

Questions/comments?

Thanks for the review. According to your results, it seems the 1ms value was more a show off than a real improvement. 120hz is still the way to go, for gaming.

Did you make sure you set the response time to "Advanced" or "Ultra" inside the monitor OSD? By default it is on "Standard" which I believe is 5ms or so.

I have this monitor and thankfully it doesn't suffer from as much backlight bleed / problems as what you've described. Changing "Eco Mode" to "Optimized" also helped with brightness and uniformity. Your conclusions are pretty harsh; why wouldn't I even want to think about watching movies on this monitor?

nice review
but a bit too focused on image calibration
and could use some input lag as well as pixel response photos

Did you make sure you set the response time to "Advanced" or "Ultra" inside the monitor OSD? By default it is on "Standard" which I believe is 5ms or so.

I have this monitor and thankfully it doesn't suffer from as much backlight bleed / problems as what you've described. Changing "Eco Mode" to "Optimized" also helped with brightness and uniformity. Your conclusions are pretty harsh; why wouldn't I even want to think about watching movies on this monitor?

The "Standard," preset has a ton of streaking, I set it to "Advanced," due to noticeable overshoot in Digital Versus test.

Optimized dims the screen, but I found it added a greenish tinge so kept it on "Standard." Does help with bleed slightly, but it is still really bad.

Like I said before the backlight bleed is so bad it completely ruins letter box movies. Full Screen is fine unless there are dark scenes. Pretty much any content with dark scenes I found to be completely ruined. This is in a bright enviorment with a dim brightness as well, the problem is amplified with the lights out.

I think a 6/10 is a very fair rating for the ViewSonic, as there are many better monitors avaliable. The image does not stand out at all, colors look dull by comparsion to the Samsung PX2370 which barely beats the ViewSonic's contrast ratio (838:1 vs 792:1).

nice review
but a bit too focused on image calibration
and could use some input lag as well as pixel response photos

Well there was nothing else to really talk about, on paper the Delta E value is great and the contrast ratio is average, but next to a monitor with nearly identical values the image looks quite dull.

Regarding input lag the ViewSonic is excellent (entirely subjective). My TV has around 30ms input lag and the PX2370 has 3ms, I am able to tell the difference between the 2.

I would say the ViewSonic feels the same has the PX2370. I don't have a CRT so we will have to wait for TFT Central's review.

The response time has been updated in the first post. Added some 360 Ruse/Constantine pics vs the PX2370 as well.

I really want to take the monitor back....any one else have any picture requests/questions?

Last edited:
The "Standard," preset has a ton of streaking, I set it to "Advanced," due to noticeable overshoot in Digital Versus test.

Optimized dims the screen, but I found it added a greenish tinge so kept it on "Standard." Does help with bleed slightly, but it is still really bad.

Like I said before the backlight bleed is so bad it completely ruins letter box ovies. Full Screen is fine unless there are dark scenes. Pretty much any content with dark scenes I found to be completely ruined.

I think a 6/10 is a very fair rating for the ViewSonic, as there are many better monitors avaliable. The image does not stand out at all, colors look dull by comparsion to the Samsung PX2370 which barely beats the ViewSonic's contrast ratio (838:1 vs 792:1).

That monitor might have been built on a Friday I guess -- as I've no issue with a green tinge when using the Optimized ECO mode, very strange. I tried your exact settings and found it to be extremely dim / bland compared to what I'm using. (Eco: Optimized, contrast 74, brightness 90, 6500k, Response: Advanced, Dynamic Contrast: OFF, Ati CCC panel colors: 0.95 gamma).

I'm curious to read if other's who own the viewsonic monitor suffer from the backlight bleed you pictured -- as I most certainly don't. What other monitors in the $350 price range and 27" 1080p spec are better and available by the way?

That monitor might have been built on a Friday I guess -- as I've no issue with a green tinge when using the Optimized ECO mode, very strange. I tried your exact settings and found it to be extremely dim / bland compared to what I'm using. (Eco: Optimized, contrast 74, brightness 90, 6500k, Response: Advanced, Dynamic Contrast: OFF, Ati CCC panel colors: 0.95 gamma).

I'm curious to read if other's who own the viewsonic monitor suffer from the backlight bleed you pictured -- as I most certainly don't. What other monitors in the $350 price range and 27" 1080p spec are better and available by the way?

I will try to put this as elegantly as possible, and I by no means want to offend you....

Your settings are ridiculously overbrightened, black level is ruined, color accuracy is way off, and entire gradiations of color are washed out/lost next to a calibrated screen.

For some one with an "eye," for accuate color this monitor will most likely offend when using the avaliable presets.

Image Quality>Size and 23" screens are far more "desk," friendly. There are a slew of cheaper screens with much better color accuracy. Hell you can get 2x23" models like the Asus MS238H or MS236H for 50$ more from New Egg.

Even if it weren't for the backlight bleed after calibration the ViewSonic is still only average. I'm just a guy with a calibration unit, but my standards are by no means high considering other un-calibrated monitors equal/best the ViewSonic even with calibration.

Samsung competes directly with the ViewSonic if a large screen is a must.

Samsung P2770H is also 350$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001379

Read the 24" review
http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-8128-36.html

Last edited:
Can you review the Hanns G 28" next? Also there are online input lag tests you can do to get exact measurements. Best if you compare with a CRT if you can.

I will try to put this as elegantly as possible, and I by no means want to offend you....

Your settings are ridiculously overbrightened, black level is ruined, color accuracy is way off, and entire gradiations of color are washed out/lost next to a calibrated screen.

For some one with an "eye," for accuate color this monitor will most likely offend when using the avaliable presets.

Image Quality>Size and 23" screens are far more "desk," friendly. There are a slew of cheaper screens with much better color accuracy. Hell you can get 2x23" models like the Asus MS238H or MS236H for 50$ more from New Egg.

Even if it weren't for the backlight bleed after calibration the ViewSonic is still only average. I'm just a guy with a calibration unit, but my standards are by no means high considering other un-calibrated monitors equal/best the ViewSonic even with calibration.

Samsung competes directly with the ViewSonic if a large screen is a must.

Samsung P2770H is also 350$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001379

Read the 24" review
http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-8128-36.html

No offense taken, but given the choice between what you deem acceptable and my current settings; I'll continue with what is clearly better for my eyes.

Firstly, being desk friendly is of no concern to me - it's literally one of the last things I would consider when looking at a flat panel pc monitor. I primarly use my computer to play games, search the web, and watch shows/movies. (same order of importance as well). After being spoiled with the size, I can never look back to smaller monitors no matter how good their color accuracy is. A 27" LCD will simply offer more immersion vs a 23/24". However high your standards are, they obviously do not meet that of a gamers.

The P2770 Samsung is nice (and I looked at it + the HD version) save for the issue of VESA mount (a huge factor to me) and the rose color (not a fan).

Can you review the Hanns G 28" next? Also there are online input lag tests you can do to get exact measurements. Best if you compare with a CRT if you can.

I have to go to the store and buy the monitors, no local retailer sells the Hans G

The one that's been out forever? I think there are enough reviews.

What he said.

Also there are online input lag tests you can do to get exact measurements. Best if you compare with a CRT if you can.

I am a hardcore gamer, being used to the PX2370 and F2380 (both of which have under 7ms input lag) I can tell you the ViewSonic feels identical. My tv is 30Ms and I can feel the clear difference between 30ms and 15ms (previous monitor), I hope my experience/opinion is enough for you as I have the monitor boxed up and pretty much on it's way out.

I set out initially to test the LG W2361V (220$ @ BB vs VeiwSonic 400$) but saw the ViewSonic and wanted to be one of the first people to test it as none of theother reviews I saw provided any measurements (waiting for TFT Centrals proper review). I will probably try the LG next. The ViewSonic ruined my evening yesterday (Should have opened my copy of Red Dead Redemption!) so I am not 100% sure I will buy the LG.

No offense taken, but given the choice between what you deem acceptable and my current settings; I'll continue with what is clearly better for my eyes.

Firstly, being desk friendly is of no concern to me - it's literally one of the last things I would consider when looking at a flat panel pc monitor. I primarly use my computer to play games, search the web, and watch shows/movies. (same order of importance as well). After being spoiled with the size, I can never look back to smaller monitors no matter how good their color accuracy is. A 27" LCD will simply offer more immersion vs a 23/24". However high your standards are, they obviously do not meet that of a gamers.

The P2770 Samsung is nice (and I looked at it + the HD version) save for the issue of VESA mount (a huge factor to me) and the rose color (not a fan).

Good to know I didn't piss you off. Clearly we have different ideas/standards for monitors so we will have to agree to disagree. I hope you enjoy your monitor!

Thanks for the link. The review pretty much reinforced what I thought/continue to think about the monitor. (great for games, movies, browsing, very low input latency -- exactly what I wanted) will have to check out their ICC profile.

Review: "The screen has limited backlight leakage, good pixel responsiveness, very low input lag and an excellent contrast ratio making it well suited to watching movies and playing games."

I apologize for reviving an old topic but I had to comment the review.

I bought a Viewsonic VX2739vw recently and I must say that I was shocked by the results posted here.

It seems like Viewsonic made an upgrade to their 2739 line since than.

I can confirm that the backlight bleed is minimal (just the bottom and upper edges) and not even close to the shots above.

The picture is disappointing only if you use an HDMI cable for PC connection. I got washed out colors and bright backgrounds when this set was connected with a HDMI cable. Once I switched to DVI and the drivers recognized the connection as a PC monitor (and not a TV) everything came to normal and the colors seem very proper with a very deep black even in a condition with no light in the room at night.

I find the TFT Central review much closer to the actual characteristics of this monitor. Coming from an old Samsung T220 this monitor achieves much deeper black level and more vibrant colors. The Dynamic Contrast works rather well in games unlike some other monitors.

I did a comparison with the Panasonic Alpha IPS (IPS-Pro) TV that I own and the blacks are equal from the 90 degrees viewing angle. The panel uniformity and viewing angles are quite OK by taking in consideration the TN panel. With dynamic contrast and high brightness this panel viewing angle is way better than T220 and BTW this panel is a lot bigger.

TFT Central did conclude that the monitor's black and contrast ratios are very close to the compared IPS panels and I can confirm that.

If you compare my results to TFT central they are very similar despite the fact that I use a different colorimeter+software, except I calibrated it to a lower brightness to counter the backlight bleeding and my calibration software can't produce such low Delta E's.

Quality control varies, I have seen a few in store with no backlight bleeding with cranked brightness, glad you got a good unit.

I used DVI to test the PC performance.

Last edited:
NCX, I forgot to mention that I am grateful for the test and the results. I had no idea that the quality control can give a pass to such a lousy unit like in your test.

What I meant by TFT Central results being more accurate is exactly that the backlight bleed is far better. But there is more.

TFT Central states that the 1ms is a mixed bag with this monitor. Could be so. But the PixPerAn shows that the ultrafast setting gives the best results. The backlight bleed shown at TFT Central still does not match my 2739. I find my unit better. It is amazing how much variations one can find in the same line of products which is not good for ViewSonic. But maybe over time they are silently introducing improved features with their displays after reading users' and reviewer's responses. I am certain that Logitech does this for sure.

Anyway, thank you once again.

By reading all of the reviews I got overwhelmed by another desire and now I am looking to buy a 24 inch CRT for gaming. I will post an update in another topic in case I make it in my quest.

i don't understand why viewsonic don't make a 27" 120 hz monitor since they got the tech for it

Back