ViewSonic vx2433wm

aznofazns

Limp Gawd
I just bought a new 23.6" 1920x1080 ViewSonic vx2433wm LCD from Costco today but i'm having some issues setting it up in Vista 32-bit. At first, the highest resolution I could choose was 1680x1050 so I downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia for my onboard Geforce 6150 chipset. Then the 1920x1080 setting showed up on Nvidia control panel so I chose that. However, now there is a big chunk of the desktop on the far right that is cut off. Basically the desktop is too wide. The auto-adjust button on the monitor itself just worsens the problem by moving the picture even further right, and even the horizontal stretch function isn't enough to make the desktop fit on the screen. By the way, I hooked the monitor up via VGA cable because that's the only output for the onboard graphics.

This is a quote from Wikipedia regarding the Geforce 6100/6150:

"Maximum supported resolution is 1920 x 1440 pixels (@75 Hz) for RGB display and 1600 x 1200 pixels (@65 Hz) for DVI-D display."

What exactly is an RGB display? Just a CRT? Does that mean that 1600x1200 is the highest resolution I can use? The 24" Sceptre I just returned could display the full 1920x1200 with no problem. As far as I know i'm running my monitor at 60Hz, does that make a difference?

I had a similar problem first time I connected a 20" Samsung, but after restarting the PC, the problem vanished.

What exactly is an RGB display? Just a CRT? Does that mean that 1600x1200 is the highest resolution I can use? The 24" Sceptre I just returned could display the full 1920x1200 with no problem. As far as I know i'm running my monitor at 60Hz, does that make a difference?

That refers to VGA input (color components). Refresh rate is only applicable to CRT's.

From NVIDIA site:
300 MHz RAMDAC
Blazing-fast RAMDAC supports display with high, ergonomic refresh rates up to and including 1920x1440@75Hz.

Single-Link DVI Support
Able to drive flat-panel displays up to and including 1600x1200.
Feature only available for GeForce 6150/nForce 430.

Well I'm using a VGA cable, not DVI... so anything up to 1920x1440 should be doable... do you think it has something to do with 16:9 not being supported?

I don't think so. The graphics card must be able to output any resolution supported by the monitor. Indeed you can output lower resolutions with 16:9 aspect ratio, don't you?

Reset the monitor to factory defaults and restart the pc.

I've already tried resetting the monitor's default settings to no avail. I just tried 1280x720 and that worked fine with no stretching, but still no luck with 1080p.

Well, try to reinstall the drivers (uninstall them in safe mode). Try with more than one driver version. Open the nvidia control panel and take a look.

This is getting ridiculous. I called ViewSonic and the guy told me it's not their problem and that I should call my graphics card manufacturer. So I went to nvidia's support page but that ended up redirecting me to my computer manufacturer's homepage (HP). I called HP and the lady basically told me that my PC was out of warranty and that I had to pay $50 for 2 weeks worth of technical support. How stupid. Nothing is WRONG with the graphics card or computer, I just need help setting up the resolution.

Guess I'll try those omega drivers.

Problem solved. With the non-Omega drivers, Nvidia control panel could only set a maximum of 60Hz refresh rate, but with Omega drivers I can choose 70, 72, and 75 as well. The only one that makes 1080p work correctly is the 70Hz setting... but I thought that refresh rate didn't matter for LCD's?

That's strange.
Your monitor supports from 50 to 76 Hz
http://www.viewsonic.com/assets/035/9614.pdf
Typical LCD frequency is 60 Hz. A different value maybe can produce hardly noticeable video stuttering (adjust 30/60 fps to a X Hz screen). However, sure you know about CRT flickering with low freq (eye strain); They are different technologies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate
That's what I meant before.

Have you installed monitor vista drivers ?
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/do...load/Standard_Monitor_Driver_Signed_Vista.zip
Maybe microsoft standard drivers are not right.

At least, you are solved your problem, regards

It appeared that the problem was solved, but I just noticed that a few horizontal pixels at the very top are cut off so I had to use the monitor's built in vertical movement to shift everything down by 4 or 5 pixels. I shouldn't have had to do that...

Back