Viewsonic VP912B

ASmith

Weaksauce
I have been trying to decide on a monitor for my new system. Previously I was torn between the Samsung 172X and 193P. But had qualms with both. I've just come across the Viewsonic VP912B and can't find any info on it except for a review at gamepc.com and cnet. I've seen that a lot of people complain about it being very reflective. Is there anyone who has this monitor that can give me their thoughts about it? I would just get the Samsung 193p but it's $759 (on Newegg) and the Viewsonic is only $629. And I like the higher brightness, response time, and design of the Viewsonic better. Thanks for the help.

I'm very happy with mine. Its the first lcd I ever had, but now i cant go back to a crt :) Its a really nice moniter I think. Looks nice in games at 1280x1024. Runs really nice. I'm planning on getting a 6800gt sometime soon, because my 9800pro slows down alot while playing Source engine games. I havnt notice any ghosting at all, looks really nice on FFXI and counterstrike :)

The design is really nice, I love the stand. Its just really easy to use and u can position the screen anyway you like.

thanks for the reply the more i think about it this monitor seems to be my best option. Do you have any "backlight bleeding" problems?

I haven't seent he VP192b but two friends of mine own the Sony HS94P which is said to be using the same panel.

The Sony is extremely reflective. I considered getting it but gave it up just because of this issue. I read a lot of contradicting comments about the screen reflectiveness and just had to see it in my own eyes - it is, as far a I'm concerned - a big NO NO for this monitor.

The colors and everything else is amazing. Although I didn't like the too-high brightness and the bleeding prob.

But the bottom line is the too-reflective monitor.

allan said:
So far, I haven't read a negative review.

Keep in mind it's the same monitor as the Sony HS94P.
Now look for reviews for the Sony.

You will see that it gets a lot of great feedback, but some are irritated by its shining surface.

Reflectiveness aside, I love mine. I haven't run into a single problem at all. No defects either. Runs fine in Unreal2k4, Call of Duty, DVD's and TV(ati tv wonder pro). I'm running mine off of a Asus Geforce 3...analog unfortunatly but I'm hopeing for a dvi video card soon.

How is the picture when displaying at a non-native resolution (1024 by 768)? I don't think my nvidia 6600gt will be quite up to 1280 by 1024. Looking at the VP912B I have come across another Viewsonic monitor, the VP191b. It isn't quite as bright and has a slower respone time (16ms instead of 12ms). Can anyone comment on it's performance?

ASmith said:
How is the picture when displaying at a non-native resolution (1024 by 768)? I don't think my nvidia 6600gt will be quite up to 1280 by 1024. Looking at the VP912B I have come across another Viewsonic monitor, the VP191b. It isn't quite as bright and has a slower respone time (16ms instead of 12ms). Can anyone comment on it's performance?
I had it on 1024x768 for a couple min, but it looks so much better at its native resolution at 1280x1024. I'd run all my games at it and its perfect. Just need a new video card >.>

I am starting to lean more towards the VP191b especially since it now has a 16ms panel instead of a 25ms panel. I read another thread in this forum that cleared my confusion about the spec change. I'm not worried about the 16ms respons time versus 12ms. I am however concerned about the brightness 250 cd/m2 vs 400 cd/m2. Although I havn't seen the viewsonic in person I have seen the Sony that used the same panel. I didn't notice any reflection problems. Just not sure if the extra cost is worth the lower response time and better brightness. $538 vs $629. I can't seem to decide if the extra cost of the VP912B is worth it or if I should just get the VP191B.

ASmith said:
I am however concerned about the brightness 250 cd/m2 vs 400 cd/m2.
I don't think you should be concerned about the brightness since you're never gonna use it that bright anyway. You should be more concerned about poor viewing angles and 6-bit color that 16ms and 12ms TN panels have.

Yes I realize that TN panels have "poor" viewing angles but I am not looking for a comparison between TN panels and other types of panel technologies. I am comparing two different TN panels, one that has a 16ms response time and another that has a 12ms response time.

ASmith said:
Yes I realize that TN panels have "poor" viewing angles but I am not looking for a comparison between TN panels and other types of panel technologies. I am comparing two different TN panels, one that has a 16ms response time and another that has a 12ms response time.
Ah OK. I was talking about the difference between the 25ms and 16ms VP191B. 400cd/m2 is definitely too bright and you'll find that most people turn down the brightness on the Sony anyway. Even if you wanted to use it at the highest brightness setting, the black color washes out so much that it can't really be called black anymore. If you're not a big gamer I highly recommend the Samsung 193P which easily beats the Sony and the Viewsonic at everything except the response time.

Yes I wouldn't mind getting the Samsung 193p at all. That is actually my first choice. But it's just a bit out of my price range I was looking to spend 500 to 600 and the Samsung is a bit over 700. So it will either be the Viewsonic Vp191b or the VP912b

forcemac101 said:
On sale today at dell for 479 shipped

I found it to be 509.96, how did you come up with 479? Is there a coupon code also?

yep there is a 30 off 300 code

HQ1G1$771R17B0

3week wait though...if it doesn't ship in a week for me I will cancel

did you order after I posted the price? I had bought one yesterday, but my order still says backordered....

forcemac

I havn't saved up quite enough $ how long do you think they will have them for this price? Do you think my video card (nvidia 6600gt) can play games like Half Life2 and Need for speed underground at 1280 x 1024 at high detail and 2x anti-alising?

forcemac101 said:
yep there is a 30 off 300 code

HQ1G1$771R17B0

3week wait though...if it doesn't ship in a week for me I will cancel

Dang code has expired, could someone let me know if another one comes along?

ASmith said:
I have been trying to decide on a monitor for my new system. Previously I was torn between the Samsung 172X and 193P. But had qualms with both. I've just come across the Viewsonic VP912B and can't find any info on it except for a review at gamepc.com and cnet. I've seen that a lot of people complain about it being very reflective. Is there anyone who has this monitor that can give me their thoughts about it? I would just get the Samsung 193p but it's $759 (on Newegg) and the Viewsonic is only $629. And I like the higher brightness, response time, and design of the Viewsonic better. Thanks for the help.

You can see what the prices were on these 2 monitors when I started this thread back in December. Now the 193p is $669 and the VP912b is $559 (at Newegg). That's quite a price drop in such a short period of time. Is there something comming out that I should wait for or should I just get one these monitors?

I bought one of the VP912B monitors from Dell the other day.
With all the discounts it was $469 shipped. Not a bad price I think but
the shipping date is posted as March 7. I'm in no hurry though.
You should be able to get a little better price than what you're showing.
As far as which one is better, couldn't tell you because I don't have my
monitor yet.
PC World does have a review which had the Viewsonic above the Samsung.
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,118520,00.asp

Probably doesn't mean much. Plus, Viewsonic changed the specs of the
VP912B by changing the front glass to a non-glare matte design.
I've seen the Sony version of this monitor at Best Buy with the glass front
and the picture was amazing. I wonder what the Viewsonic will look like with
the anti-glare screen?

I was real lucky in ordering the VP912b from Dell on 12-29. The back-order gave me a better price, and received my LCD with non-glare screen yesterday. I had no idea, until I just read the referenced link in this thread, PCWorld,
as I keep looking for the glossy screen and glare. The PCWorld article says, " This review applies only to VP912b units sold before late December 2004. Units sold in 2005 have an antiglare screen. PC World will review the new VP912b in our April 2005 issue." My LCD panel was Made in China in Dec/2004. i.e. I got the non-glare screen [ I since reset the Color from 6500K to 5400K, which reduces its brightness, I then increased to 20% so the white web pages display much better than before; 6500K gives really bright whites.]

The screen is razor sharp for graphics and text, beautiful saturated colors, with no dead pixels running LCDtest.exe. Even with brightness and contrast turned up, there does not appear to be any backlight edge bleeding -- at least not after two evenings use. As with Sony LCD owners, I set the VP912b's brightness to 12% and contrast to 50%. Even then, when I flip to a web page with white background, its brighter than I'm accustomed. The front micro menu buttons are OK, once you get used to their smallness. I'm using analog input until I get am OpenGL video card with DVI output.

I ordered the holiday special from Dell at $540 incl shipping minus $30 stackable. The 10% discount was replaced by 15% by mid-Jan, so I called for an adjustment. Dell offerred either $30 credit, or $75 concession coupon valid on the Dell site until 8/31. I took the $75 Dell coupon, as it will pay for more injet ink! My net cost was effectively $435 plus CA taxes. So I'm obviously really pleased with Dell, and the delays which gave further discounts AND the non-glare screen! :D :D :D

Don Smith said:
As with Sony LCD owners, I set the VP912b's brightness to 12% and contrast to 50%. Even then, when I flip to a web page with white background, its brighter than I'm accustomed.

Exactly why I don't like this monitor (and the Sony HS94P) - they are simply too bright. The VP191b, on the other hand, is much easier on the eyes and is much more "creamy".

I'm glad I decided not to get the viewsonic with the reflective coating when I heard there was going to be a new version without the coating. Someone came in my store the other day with a hp laptop that had this type of screen coating way too reflective...

Back