Viewsonic VP201B and black color

Observ3r

n00b
Hello everyone ,
I just got this monitor and i want to ask who ever hapent to own one of those ....if you are happy with the black color?
Ecpecialy when you watch divx movies or playing games ...
I am coming from a Viewsonic Crt P220F 22' where the black color was awsome and i might got used to that.....
Can you also tell me what is your settings on brightness and contrast...and if there is program i can use to calibrate it so i can get the black color level i want ?
I am using Dvi conection as well as Gf 6800 Gt 256 mb as graphic card
This an awsome monitor very bright and colorfull and i am about to sell it or return it back because of this problem .......
Thank you in advance for your time to help me out :)

Observ3r said:
Hello everyone ,
I just got this monitor and i want to ask who ever hapent to own one of those ....if you are happy with the black color?
Ecpecialy when you watch divx movies or playing games ...
I am coming from a Viewsonic Crt P220F 22' where the black color was awsome and i might got used to that.....
Can you also tell me what is your settings on brightness and contrast...and if there is program i can use to calibrate it so i can get the black color level i want ?
I am using Dvi conection as well as Gf 6800 Gt 256 mb as graphic card
This an awsome monitor very bright and colorfull and i am about to sell it or return it back because of this problem .......
Thank you in advance for your time to help me out :)

All monitors need full calibration before they really become useable. I have no idea why the manufactures don’t give instructions for this but they don’t.

You can’t get black until you calibrate your gray scale. Same holds true for a CRT as well; it’s the most important part of the whole setup.

Set your video card back to default settings first.

Set your brightness to 50%
Contrast to about 70% or so
You have a color level control for each color, red, green and blue.

Your software should have a gray scale test screen, probably 16 shades from black to true white. Get to that screen.

If you don't have software this will help:

http://www.epaperpress.com/monitorcal/

Take each color control and back each one down one notch at a time, but be sure to do all three at first. That is, if you drop your red back one notch drop your blue and green back as well.

As you do this you will see your gray scale screen changing, black getting blacker etc. Continue with this until the black end of the screen is almost disappears. At that point you should see 16 individual bars of black to white.

Next is tint. If your lighter colors on that screen exhibit any tints, such as a tendency toward a reddish or bluish “tint” that’s wrong. If you have a red tint you go back to your individual color controls and back only the red down a bit. Double check your screen and see if you corrected the problem. This may take several tries but it’s worth it.

Once you get the gray scale right and your tints right you won’t even think your working on the same monitor.

After you do all that use your software to touch things up. I know it sounds like a pain in the butt and it is, but it’s necessary and well worth the time and effort.

Luck

No matter what i do ....on divx playback black is always washed out and has no relation with my Crt (btw i have am side by side )
Crt on D-sub
Tft on Dvi-D
I don tknow what to do Tft is so much superioir to everything else
(Geometry - Brightness - Color )
sigh!!!!!!!!

Observ3r said:
No matter what i do ....on divx playback black is always washed out and has no relation with my Crt (btw i have am side by side )
Crt on D-sub
Tft on Dvi-D
I don tknow what to do Tft is so much superioir to everything else
(Geometry - Brightness - Color )
sigh!!!!!!!!

Set you color depth to 6500k, then go to the link below and calibrate your monitor properly. Then come back to these forums and check the black level by looking at the outside borders. All ccfl displays leak some backlight after heating up. If you want perfect, then wait and fork out double for an led backlit lcd monitor.

http://www.ltlimagery.com/monitor_calibration.html

sclark10000 said:
Set you color depth to 6500k, then go to the link below and calibrate your monitor properly. Then come back to these forums and check the black level by looking at the outside borders. All ccfl displays leak some backlight after heating up. If you want perfect, then wait and fork out double for an led backlit lcd monitor.

http://www.ltlimagery.com/monitor_calibration.html

Are LCDs with led backlights available already? Do you know when? Any links to any previews?

Observ3,

Washed out effect annoys me too. While you can calibrate an LCD to look better than how it came out of the box, I doubt it will ever look the way you want it considering your comming from a VS P220F. I had the same problem when I came from a PF775 to a NEC 1760NX, and then to a Samsung 192T, and I have also looked at a few other LCDs, some other 15"s, 17"s and 19"s and the backlight problem seems to be very consistent accross the board, only its better on some than on others. You could also check out the link below from a company that sells hardware and software to calibrate your monitor automatically. I am not sure how well it works but if it does work, I suspect that's about as good as it will get, .... but it costs $169. Feedback from people that have used it would be good before spending that kind of cash, if you would even consider it. Hopefully the free method above gave acceptable results.

http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profis_view.jsp?id=101

Good luck with the calibration.

My Samsung 213T and my Envision 9110 both are calibrated to Adobe Publishing specs. The Mac monitors and many other monitors hit that spec too. It doesn’t get much better then that folks, they set the standard. What I send out for publication comes back looking as it should, it matches my monitor perfectly with no correction needed on the publishing end.

Software decoding has always been an issue, it’s not better it’s just cheaper. As for divx..I mean who cares..It’s an unsupported compression scheme that, like MP-3 music, has so much loss it’s really useless if you care about what your watching and or listening to.

Even the $29.95 crap DVD players decode video in hardware, crappy hardware but hardware non-the less.

Don’t blame a monitor for things the monitor can’t help, like being badly calibrated or fed crap. That’s user error every time.

This thread is about to be Crt Vs Tft and i dont really want that ...
Anyway just a small conclusion since that is my first Tft monitor...
If u want a perfect black look no further than a good ole Crt.......
Anyone else use this monitor is more than wellcome to express their thoughts.......

Thnx everyone for the answers....

Observ3r said:
This thread is about to be Crt Vs Tft and i dont really want that ...
Anyway just a small conclusion since that is my first Tft monitor...
If u want a perfect black look no further than a good ole Crt.......
Anyone else use this monitor is more than wellcome to express their thoughts.......

Thnx everyone for the answers....

I’ll totally agree, but LCD’s can do damn near perfect black when calibrated properly. Try this, go to the Nokia site and look for ntest 1.0a. Between that program and all the “help” ;) you got here I think you will find your monitor can look pretty good :D

Back