Viewsonic or LG

BMWlover

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, this is my first post here so Hello! I'm a long time computer lubber and builder. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here has had any hands on experiance with either of the two moniters I am thinking about. The moniter would be used mainly for gaming. They around the same price. I am stuck in the middle because the Viewsonic gets sreat reviews but has a lower contrast ratio and less colors, and the LG is nearly impossible to find reviews on, but has LG quick-swap warranty.
Viewsonic VX922 or LG L1920PQ
24-116-375-11.JPG
24-005-066-01.JPG

Viewsonic:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375
LG
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824005066

Thanks alot and I am sorry for being the millionth this or that thread starter.

I don't have the VX922 but I do have the VX924 LCD monitor and it's a pretty damn good lcd.
It does have backlight bleeding which sucks when watching movies or when the screen is black in color. But that's really only movies or dark (or when Night-time) games.

But I don't mind it that much since I just bought two ViewSonic VX2025WM's...
That will probably have some backlight-bleeding on them...

Hope that helps...

J32P2006

I have the LG L1980Q and I'm thrilled with it. It's basically the same specs as that monitor but a bit different looking, and with some additional adjustments. It's only a 6 bit panel I'm pretty sure, but the colors are great. My backlight is damn good and I have 0 dead pixels. Like you said, LG's quick swap program is also top notch.

happy shopping!

-Matt

Matt126 said:
I have the LG L1980Q and I'm thrilled with it. It's basically the same specs as that monitor but a bit different looking, and with some additional adjustments. It's only a 6 bit panel I'm pretty sure, but the colors are great. My backlight is damn good and I have 0 dead pixels. Like you said, LG's quick swap program is also top notch.

happy shopping!

-Matt

Don't you mean L1920Q?

If so, I am also looking at this monitor. I am comparing it to a Viewsonix VX2025WM and can't seem to be able to decide.

I take it you will do some gaming on this monitor? I would have thought the new LG 1970HR would be LG's natural competitor to the VX922. You might want to look at it.

I tried both the 1970HR and the VX922 and they are very close. I noticed no ghosting on either, motion blur is comparable, text is slightly sharper on the 1970HR probably due to the extraordinary contrast of the new LG models, no noticeable 'input lag' on either (both measured around 15ms against a CRT monitor).

On the VX922 I found it hard to get a proper brightness / contrast setting that was not too bright to look at text and did not wash out colors. On the other hand, without major calibration the 1970HR color bias seemed a bit on the 'cold' side compared to the VX922 and the latter was a bit easier to look at for extended sessions, but adjustments would probably fix any problems in this respect.

If you are sensitive to ghosting the VX922 may still be the fastest (as per Tom's Hardware testing) and safest gaming monitor until the 1970HR and other new panels go through professional testing. But overall I preferred the 1970HR. I haven't tried the model you mentioned.

BMWlover said:
the LG is nearly impossible to find reviews on, but has LG quick-swap warranty.

HahahahahahahahahAHA! HAHA! Ha. Ha.

*Ahem.*

I've had nothing but trouble with LG's warranty support, and after sharing my story on this forum, heard nothing but complaints which back up my experience. If you don't want to read the specifics of my troubles that follow, let me sum up by saying they are complete clowns.

More than a month ago, my L1930B (S-IPS for color accuracy) developed a purple stripe down the middle. I RMA'd... and got back the completely wrong monitor (L1950). RMA'd again, got back another L1950. RMA'd again... got the right monitor, but with 4 dead pixels (someone else's defective screen! :mad: ). RMA'd again, and got an L1932TQ (TN, very inaccurate colors). Called to complain, they said they "upgraded" me since they had no L1930Bs left. I explained why the screen they sent was anything but an upgrade, and the guy still tried to convince me that the L1932TQ was superior! The best he could offer was to set up another RMA. I should be getting another screen next week; I've already resolved to sell it as soon as I can.

To top it off, the monitors they send back from warranty service are "reconditioned" and thus are only warrantied for 90 days. So if your monitor fails within the first year like mine did, even if you get back a perfect screen (unlikely), you still get screwed out of nearly 2 years of warranty service.

In short: stay away.

I just bought a 1970HR a few days ago, it's a great LCD with some good specs. I remember reading about the Q model, 8ms as opposed to the 2ms on the HR I believe.

I wasn't too brave to go for LG at first, it doesn't seem that there's too many reviews out there or many LG owners judging by the posts on this forum. Perhaps it's because these models just hit the market.

I went and bought this one retail, paid perhaps a few dollars more than some cheaper online e-tailer, and had 14 days to return it no questions asked. The first one I picked up in fact had a pixel that was probably stuck or something (not an expert here), it took 20 minutes in the store (Futureshop) and I had a new 1970HR with zero problems so far.

Reading all the posts here about how LCD buying and dead pixels are like russian roulette, I'd suggest buying from a store that lets you actually return stuff, especially if it's your first LCD venture.

Good luck with your purchase!

Hi BMWlover

I had to reply to you as my closest friend is BMW crazy. It's easy to buy him gifts - anything BMW!

Now back to monitors - I would choose the LG brand only because I'd never heard of Viewsonic prior to looking for a widescreen LCD myself. It's also a great looking monitor. I know Viewsonic receives some great reviews such as "you get more bang for your bucks". Maybe you should pick the one with the best warranty. Wish I could help you more.

meganpepi said:
Hi BMWlover

I had to reply to you as my closest friend is BMW crazy. It's easy to buy him gifts - anything BMW!

Now back to monitors - I would choose the LG brand only because I'd never heard of Viewsonic prior to looking for a widescreen LCD myself. It's also a great looking monitor. I know Viewsonic receives some great reviews such as "you get more bang for your bucks". Maybe you should pick the one with the best warranty. Wish I could help you more.

Not to come across as condescending, but Viewsonic has been in the monitor game a hell of a lot longer than LG has. They're one of the pioneering companies of LCD tech and their CRT's are nearly unmatched in the professional world. If you've never heard of Viewsonic monitors before, I have a couple of PC Magazines from 1988 I'd like to show you :)

I have a vx924 and vx922 both are very good quality.The VX922 I bought from newegg this week for $216 shipped.It was listed as opened box but it is in perfect condition.
If you check the refurbed section at midnight eastern when they update it you can find some excellent deals.
A benq 20" wide screen was listed for $260 shipped and the 19" hyundai L90D+ is $200 shipped and is also a great monitor,one of my sons has used one for gaming and loves it.

Back