Viewsonic or Dell

M a d c o w

Limp Gawd
Morning Pc Fans

Im debating on one of these LCD's for gaming. I do quite of gaming like COD2. I asked my friend who's an IT tech and suggested to get CRT. I did quite a search on forums. Some say Dell some say Viewsonic. Im looking somewhere in the LCD widescreens "20 or 21". I want something thats crisp and no ghosting and will last for a long time. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

I went with the Dell, and I am happy I did. S-IPS panel, plenty of inputs, USB Hub, and great performance in games. I was nervous about ghosting, too, but haven't noticed any.

If you do a search there have been comparisons on this forum about it. The answers you got above are only people saying they like what they chose but they didn't buy both so they can't really give a deffinitive answer because they don't know if the other monitor is any better. I would say if you need the tv inputs then go Dell if you want to save money then go Viewsonic you don't actually lose quality by any means with the monitor it's just you have less inputs (only dvi and vga inputs) and no real monitor adjustments.

Go Viewsonic.

Dell makes cheaply made products that have to be revised 2 or 3 times utnil they get them right.

If you would like your monitor to be able to display future HD content, go with the Dell, the Viewsonic isn't HDCP compliant.

I say stick with your CRT for now if you have one, and wait. A bunch of new LCD's are comming out in Aug, and Sept.

First of all asking the nit-pickers in this forum is the wrong idea! They will fault any monitor for any little thing that 90% of most people will not even notice.

Now for my reccomendation: Go with the dell, its the best all around monitor. Lets look at the warranty of both for a second. If you order from newegg and get dead pixels you'll have a harder time getting a new one then with dell where they ship you your replacment FIRST then you ship yours back. Newegg wont even cross ship, and AFAIK they do check how many dead pixels you have. For dell, you call them up, tell them you have dead pixels (say 8 even though you may only have 1), and they will send you out a replacment (there are people on this very site who have had 2-5 replacments untill everything on their panel was PERFECT and it didnt cost them a DIME nor did they have to go with out a monitor!

For dell you have 3 year warranty where you get that same service, newegg you have to deal with NEC (manufacturer warranty) directly after 30 days is it?

Dont get me wrong i LOVE newegg, but with things like flat panels where 1 dead pixel would bother me let alone 5 or 6 (before newegg will replace) i will go with dell (even though i say that i have ordered 5 flat panels from newegg of various manufacturers and never had a dead pixel and all have been perfect, lucky i guess!).

And I do in fact own a 2007WFP (home) and 2405WFP (work) Both are FANTASTIC for all types of games / apps /etc. Short of photo work of course, which i dont do. I'm 100% satisfied with my dell monitor for gaming, i like having the powered USB ports (FOUR OF THEM), as well as the svideo and composit inputs for hooking up consoles that dont utilize a VGA cable. It also does 4:3 stretch and 1:1 for those pesky EA games that dont support wide screen.

nijle4u said:
For dell you have 3 year warranty where you get that same service, newegg you have to deal with NEC (manufacturer warranty) directly after 30 days is it?

How is dealing directly wiht NEC after 30 days any different than dealing with Dell directly??

Yeah I am sure it is great that you can scam dell all day long since they dont check the dead pixels but wouldnt you rather just buy a quality product than some shotty piece that you might have to return 3 or 4 times?>???? That doesnt seem to make much sense.

travbomb said:
How is dealing directly wiht NEC after 30 days any different than dealing with Dell directly??

Yeah I am sure it is great that you can scam dell all day long since they dont check the dead pixels but wouldnt you rather just buy a quality product than some shotty piece that you might have to return 3 or 4 times?>???? That doesnt seem to make much sense.

I'm sure the rate of dead pixels that show up on Dell LCDs is no different than what you might experience going with any other manufacturer. I'm not all for trying to scam a company, but maybe the point nijle4u was trying to make is that Dell's costumer service does a great job at keeping us consumers happy.

Yes, it took a revision for Dell to fix the banding issue. Lots of people weren't happy about that issue, and either returned the product, or waited for the new revision to come out and fix it. The problem is, however, fixed now and there is no reason not to purchase this LCD.

SkuLLy|RT said:
I'm sure the rate of dead pixels that show up on Dell LCDs is no different than what you might experience going with any other manufacturer. I'm not all for trying to scam a company, but maybe the point nijle4u was trying to make is that Dell's costumer service does a great job at keeping us consumers happy.

Yes, it took a revision for Dell to fix the banding issue. Lots of people weren't happy about that issue, and either returned the product, or waited for the new revision to come out and fix it. The problem is, however, fixed now and there is no reason not to purchase this LCD.

It took not one revision but 3 and there are still units shipping with banding. Dell will also ship units with various panels and not tell their customers. What kind of service is that. The point of my statement was that you shouldnt have to return your monitor to begin. Sure this will happen to every manufacturer but it should not happen on a massive scale like it does with Dell. That to me is reason enough not to buy somehting from someone.

Both the dell and viewsonic lcd's have had problems. The dell's with the banding, and the viewsonic's with the faulty dvi port. I ended up getting a dell for one reason and one reason only: their return policy. Dell is one of the easiest places to return / RMA faulty goods to, and when you're dealing with a product like an LCD that can have dead pixels and bad light leakage, you want that option. As for the banding issue, just make sure to run the banding test on yours and make sure it doesn't have it. If it does have it, just call dell up and you'll get it fixed. Sounds like people are having less than stellar results with viewsonic tech support though (which is weird, I have an old viewsonic crt, and that thing is a great monitor, sad to hear their QC has gone down so much). Also, this thing is beautiful, no regrets. ;)

So if you want the safest possible option, I'd go with Dell.

I asked my friend who's an IT tech and suggested to get CRT.

it is IT people like this who should NOT be in IT, because they are obviously behind in the times and i cant imagine how it is affecting their job place.

MrGuvernment said:
it is IT people like this who should NOT be in IT, because they are obviously behind in the times and i cant imagine how it is affecting their job place.

Um, his IT friend was completely right if he wants the best display for gaming. Nothing beats a CRT, yet, there is no denying that. If you have the space for a CRT and don't mind the heat and its' weight, you go with a CRT.

I vote for the Viewsonic. I only buy Viewsonic LCDs, and out of the last 15 or so, I have only found 1 dead pixel. Plus, I buy them from either Zipzoomfly or Mwave, not Newegg.
I have a VX924 on my desk right now, and absolutely love it. I have a Viewsonic CRT at home, and would trade it for this one in a second.

MJCfromCT said:
Um, his IT friend was completely right if he wants the best display for gaming. Nothing beats a CRT, yet, there is no denying that. If you have the space for a CRT and don't mind the heat and its' weight, you go with a CRT.

Example of nit picking. Joe Blow will prefer an LCD b/c of the sharpness and crispness over the big clunky CRT. Let me guess you probably would cream over that gay 24" sony everyone goes nuts over. Why the hell would you want that beast over an LCD?

Joe blow gamer doesnt care about all the little shit you guys pick apart LCDs for and probably wont even notice. Especially if native resolution is no problem for them.

Dont even get me started about the "2007 2407 banding" problem that got blown WAY out of proportion. That ranks right up there with the "all xbox 360s die from overheating" and "all DS Lite hinges are cracking" BS.

Oh and dealing with NEC directly vs Dealing with dell directly is a huge difference. For one you paid Dell for the monitor and they will ship you a new one before you ship yours to them. NEC or any manufacturer will only ship you a replacment AFTER you ship it to them and they verify the problem. Dell doesnt care b/c they didnt build that monitor, they RMA it to the factory so of course they'll keep the cutsomers happy even 2.9 years later. And by that time they wont send you a 2007 probably a 2009WFP!

Do yourself a favor, Go with the Dell avoid any problems, and get a much better monitor over the NEC in almost all categories. ;)

I have to agree dell has good customer service when it comes to monitors. A couple of years ago I had an old 17inch dell crt monitor that had 1 month left on a 3 year warrany. It died and started smoking one day, but no fire. Called dell around 12pm that day and they said they'll ship another monitor out. Not only did that new monitor arrive in less than 24 hours! (arrived 11am the next day), but it was a 19inch crt to boot! :D

nijle4u said:
Example of nit picking. Joe Blow will prefer an LCD b/c of the sharpness and crispness over the big clunky CRT. Let me guess you probably would cream over that gay 24" sony everyone goes nuts over. Why the hell would you want that beast over an LCD?

Joe blow gamer doesnt care about all the little shit you guys pick apart LCDs for and probably wont even notice. Especially if native resolution is no problem for them.

That's all fine and dandy if you knew you were dealing with Joe Blow, here. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I went straight from a CRT to the 2007WFP, and I think it is a great monitor. That's why I got a second one.

travbomb said:
Go Viewsonic.

Dell makes cheaply made products that have to be revised 2 or 3 times utnil they get them right.
Who cares if you can buy the 2nd or 3rd revision? :p

Seriously, look for professional reviews on the net and base your choice on that.

travbomb said:

Typical fan boy who doesn't care to look at the facts right here. If you think the Dell is bad, look at the Viewsonic and the issues it has with backlight and DVI! Sure, there was a banding problem on the 2007WFP, but that was the only problem with it. And if you had a monitor with the banding problem, you would have gotten a brand new one cross-shipped to you, no questions asked.

Bandin is a problem in A02. Not being able to use 2/3 modes is problem, and lack of possibility to make screen adjustments if you want to avoid increasing bandin. Though it still is good compared to many monitors. But after all, most monitors are (imo) bad. ;>

MJCfromCT said:
Typical fan boy who doesn't care to look at the facts right here. If you think the Dell is bad, look at the Viewsonic and the issues it has with backlight and DVI! Sure, there was a banding problem on the 2007WFP, but that was the only problem with it. And if you had a monitor with the banding problem, you would have gotten a brand new one cross-shipped to you, no questions asked.

Typical Fan boy of what???

I just find it hard to believe that so many people are willing to buy and recommend a product that has been proven to be faulty and on top of that from a manufacturer who is williing to change panel types without informing the customer in the hopes the customer is not educated enough to figure it out.

you are righ. If i got a monitor with banding I would have gotten a new one but I would have bought one from a more reliable manufacturer to begin with so it would not have been an issue.

Alright, travbomb, I will give you this: the fact that Dell does switch panel types at random is unacceptable. If you pay for a monitor hoping to get an IPS panel, you shouldn't get anything but a IPS panel.

Fortunately, the 2007WFP never had this problem, it was always shipped with the same S-IPS panel, unlike its non-widescreen brother. For that reason, I don't think I would recommend the 2007FP to anyone. You just don't know what type of panel you are getting.

However, the WFP is a different story. You know what you are getting, and the one problem with the monitor (banding) has been resolved. This means that you get a higher quality panel than the viewsonic, along with one that has a powered USB hub, adjustable stand, component and s-video input, and is HDCP compliant, all for $360 (or whatever the sale price of the week is).

Thanks for all the response... All i ask was which LCD to get and didnt expect this thread star in flames. Every topic/thread always starts in flames. So Pls moderators PLS close this thread....

MJCfromCT said:
Alright, travbomb, I will give you this: the fact that Dell does switch panel types at random is unacceptable. If you pay for a monitor hoping to get an IPS panel, you shouldn't get anything but a IPS panel.

Fortunately, the 2007WFP never had this problem, it was always shipped with the same S-IPS panel, unlike its non-widescreen brother. For that reason, I don't think I would recommend the 2007FP to anyone. You just don't know what type of panel you are getting.

However, the WFP is a different story. You know what you are getting, and the one problem with the monitor (banding) has been resolved. This means that you get a higher quality panel than the viewsonic, along with one that has a powered USB hub, adjustable stand, component and s-video input, and is HDCP compliant, all for $360 (or whatever the sale price of the week is).

Fair enough I was under the impression that the 2007WFP had chaned panels also in the process of fixing the banding.

Personally I would get the NEC 20WMGX2 before either of them but thats cause I am a bit biased. ;)

Oh believe me, that was one of the first things I checked when I got my replacement. :)

If it had been changed, I've have returned it and sprung for the NEC.

I just purchase a viewsonic VX 922, I know it is a 19 inch, but I am VERY impressed with it. At work we have a lot of Dells and their colors are not as vibrant as the viewsonic. I personally would go with viewsonic.

I own a Viewsonic vx2025 and I’m really disappointed with it.:( It has a horrible coating that makes it look like you are viewing the screen through frosted glass. The viewing angles are really bad as well, I would say about 40 degrees before it starts to loose contrast. The screens brightness is way too high for games and movies, you can get round this by changing your graphics card setting but this will also cause banding.

If I had the choice again I would defiantly go for the dell. IPS panels are much better.

What, no speaky engrish???

there are people on this very site who have had 2-5 replacments untill everything on their panel was PERFECT and it didnt cost them a DIME nor did they have to go with out a monitor!

Travbomb my 20wmgx2 has banding...the Dell was better in that regard.

Just to clarify for those browsing.. (this is an old thread that was bumped for some reason) the banding is pretty much fixed now but the 2007WFP did and still does have a lottery going on with panel types.;)

Back