• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Viewsonic misleading? VX910 16ms or 25ms?

BKF

n00b
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
6
EDIT: I posted this a day or so ago, but found new information on the subject, enough to lead me to believe that Viewsonic lied to people about the VX910.

I've got a Viewsonic VX910 I purchased sometime around the end of last year or early this year. I bought it at Best Buy after researching it quite a bit. At the time all the reviews, and even Viewsonic showed it as a 16ms response time. It was about the same price as 19" 25ms panels at the time. With a mail-in rebate I think I came away spending about 400-450 or so on it.

This morning I happened to check in on Viewsonic's webpage for their latest monitors and saw they were still advertising the VX910. I clicked on it, and was reading over the specs and saw they list it as a 25ms monitor now.

Anyone have any idea what the deal is? Are the newer VX910s slower than the older ones? Or were older VX910s being mis-advertised as 16ms panels on Viewsonic and other webpages? Even now, if you punch in the VX910 in Google, you'll see numerous sites and older reviews say it's a 16ms panel. But now Viewsonic says it's 25.

Is the Viewsonic page now just a mis-print, or were they being deceitful previously?

EDIT: After contacting ViewSonic, I received a reply that the VX910 is always been advertised as a 25ms monitor.

Let me direct you folks to the following page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041013063157/www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/

PDF specs: http://web.archive.org/web/20041013063157/http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/products/VX910%20August%202004%20low.pdf

The above is an archival of Viewsonic's own webpage in October of last year, around the time I bought my monitor. The 2nd link is a PDF spec sheet they offered for download for the monitor. It clearly shows a 16ms response time. Their current page shows 25ms response time. So for those of you out there who bought the VX910 at the time it was advertised as a 16ms monitor (just about everywhere, since it was Viewsonic's own specs), I guess we were lied to. I'm pretty pissed, so I figured I'd share my frustrations.
 
they did indeed used to have the spec differently on the OFFICIAL Viewsonic sites. A while ago, it appeared that there were 2 verisons being advertsied:

Version 1: 19 Inch. 1280 x 1024 resolution, 550:1 contrast ratio, 16ms response time, 140 / 140 viewing angles, TN film panel

Version 2: 19 Inch, 1280 x 1024 resolution, 700:1 contrast ratio, 25ms response time, 170 / 170 viewing angles, MVA panel technology



The USA website used to list it as a 16ms TN panel (as did some retailers), but now it has been altered to the same as the Eurpoean sites, which list it as a 25ms MVA panel. Viewsonic confirmed to me that the UK market spec should be 25ms rated. However, it seems from varying reports that perhaps some stockists have the 16ms version. I would imagine that some import their stock, but which model you get can really vary as far as the UK market goes. Some people have commented that theirs look almost identical, and perform the same as the VX912 (12ms TN film panel), but others say theirs behaves more like other VA panels. This is going to always be an area of arguement as some retailers list it as 16ms, and some as 25ms.
 
Other than package specs saying the Contrast ratio, how can you actually verify which version you have?
 
i think the only way you can check for sure is to contact Viewsonic and give them your serial number. If there are 2 verisons, the VA verison should be noticably different than a TN film panel mostly because of the far superior viewing angles.
 
There's no angle on mine that I can't clearly read the text or see the screen, except approaching 180 degrees side-to-side where I can't physically see the text or even the screen anymore (the bezel is in the way). I can look straight down from above the monitor and easily read the banner ad on this page with only a slight discoloration (green looks more yellow on the Navman ad that's above on my screen right now on when viewed from straight down).

When viewing angles are given, is it given as a spec for a readable screen with zero change in color/brightness as you move to any viewing angle? Or are they simply referring to the ability to still see/read what's on the screen from those angles?
 
well quoted viewing angles are very misleading really, for instance a TN film might be quoted as 160/160, but in reality it isnt as good as that. Take a look at this article which might help explain how they're measured and info about how the improved specs are mostly a lot of marketing. A MVA panel will have noticably wider viewing angles than a TN film panel. Most TN film panels tend to show very obvious changes in the darkness of the display with only a little vertical adjustment, and the horizontal plane can become quite dark with not much change. VA on the other hand are far less restrictive. You would really have to see a MVA vs TN panel to undertand fully the differences though i guess :)
 
Back
Top