ViewSonic 191b OR 930b backlight leaking

M'ichal

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Sorry for posting a separate thread that is similar to an existing one, but I want to get info on 191b as well, not just 930b.

I am very interested in one of these monitors, but I have read about numerous people having problems with backlight leaking in the corners. I have had a Samsung 930b and there was a horrible leaking along the top and bottom of the panel. It was very obvious, and you didn't have to look for it hard. You looked, and it was there. It appeared on any darker screens, i.e. Doom 3, DVD's or even my desktop wallpaper. So I returned the monitor.

Now I am thinking about the viewsonics, cause they seem to be the best, but I really don't want to get a similar result.

So my question to you, owners of the 191b/930b is:
How bad is that corner leaking (or any other that you notice)?

If I play Doom 3 (or any other dark game) and look around the screen, in a dark room with only a desk lamp on, will it be noticable and bothersome?

If I watch DVD's (same dark room, only lamp desk on), will I be able to notice the light on the two black stripes??? (I don't think I heard anyone report on that, and this is important for me as I watch movies on my comp).

And also, if you have time, how is the color uniformity on those LCDs? i.e. If I open a window, will the color of the top of the window (the background of the toolbars and the main menu) match the color of the status bar (or the taskbar)? On Samsung 930b, the bottom part was noticably brighter than the top part (the grey of the taskbar was brighter that the main menu background) and it wasn't due to the viewing angle.

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS. I don't look for extreme conditions, just for casual and obvious observations, for example, if you say "I turn all the lights off, screen all black, look from an angle of 23.32deg and peek into the monitor for 35 seconds and THEN I notice a little leaking" I consider that to be ok :) Just as long as the regular, everyday usage is fine and the defect is not easily noticable.

I'm curious to hear responses to this as well. I just ordered a Samsung 970P (in fact, it's on the delivery truck right now), and I'm nervous about the amount of backlight I'm going to see. Because the main reason I bought this monitor was to replace my Sony SDM-HS94P, which I think had unexceptable levels of backlight. I play a lot of "dark" games.

It makes me even more uneasy that you had a bad experience with the 930B. But since the 970P is one of Samsungs new high-end monitors, and uses a PVA panel, maybe it'll have improved build quality. I guess I'll find out when I get home today. =/

The Viewsonic VP930B was my second choice, as it too uses a VA panel with override.

M'ichal said:
Hi,

So my question to you, owners of the 191b/930b is:
How bad is that corner leaking (or any other that you notice)?

If I play Doom 3 (or any other dark game) and look around the screen, in a dark room with only a desk lamp on, will it be noticable and bothersome?

If I watch DVD's (same dark room, only lamp desk on), will I be able to notice the light on the two black stripes??? (I don't think I heard anyone report on that, and this is important for me as I watch movies on my comp).

And also, if you have time, how is the color uniformity on those LCDs? i.e. If I open a window, will the color of the top of the window (the background of the toolbars and the main menu) match the color of the status bar (or the taskbar)? On Samsung 930b, the bottom part was noticably brighter than the top part (the grey of the taskbar was brighter that the main menu background) and it wasn't due to the viewing angle.

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS. I don't look for extreme conditions, just for casual and obvious observations, for example, if you say "I turn all the lights off, screen all black, look from an angle of 23.32deg and peek into the monitor for 35 seconds and THEN I notice a little leaking" I consider that to be ok :) Just as long as the regular, everyday usage is fine and the defect is not easily noticable.

The corner backlight bleeding is really only noticeable on a completely black screen. In gaming I can just barely detect it a bit in the upper left and right corners if I'm in a very dark area. I don't find it distracting at all. Maybe my settings of 60 contrast and 60 brightness make a difference. Plus, I turn the gamma down using my video card's display options. The default gamma makes the screen look a bit washed out.

I can see it on DVDs but it's not bad. To me it looks very faint.

I find the uniformity excellent on the VP930b. Whites look very clean all the way across the screen and with even brightness.

On my VP930B, backlight bleeding is just barely noticable in 2 upper corners with totally black screen. It is invisible in normal everyday usage. I don't consider it a problem at all.

Yeah, I see IceWind. You seem to have been stuck with a really bad unit.

Damn, so looks like there's no escape from that issue.

Anyone else wants to comment on their unit? Any 191b owners?

Thanks

Back