Viewing folders from secondary Hard Drive with Windows 7

m_cochran

Limp Gawd
My parents computer was fried this week, I am trying to recover the data from the hard drive on their old PC. I removed it from the PC and installed it as a secondary drive in the new PC, I have enabled "View hidden files/folders" and am logged in as Administrator; however when I try to view the user data under Documents and Settings and find their "My Documents" folder it does not list their account just the generic "Administrator" , "All Users", HP_Administrator etc...

I have tried to do a *.xls search and returned nothing. Also, under program files, all it lists is Mozilla Thunderbird. Is there something else I need to do to view / access their user profile?

Still shows the samething. The only thing I can think of is that all their profile data and "My Documents" stored data was on the secondary hard drive from the old PC, which is IDE and I cannot access it from the new PC. Guess I will have to take it home and put it in one of my old PCs and see if it is on there.

Or buy a usb hard drive adapter (like one of these) and plug it into your current system.

I use this for data recovery all the time.

Also the drive may be corrupted and there could be data there but just not viewable, may require data recovery software if the data indeed WAS stored on that drive.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back