View Users?

calvinj

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been poking around the VMWare view information again and remember from back in the day remember VMWare recommending you have separate hardware for all of the virtual desktops. Well fast forward we have 3 new hosts in our headquarters. They are dual 6 core intel procs with 48 gbs of ram in total. We also have plenty of SAN space as well. So I'm wondering can I use my already existing infrastructure and utilize vmware view off the same hardware? Anybody doing this today?

I did it through my migration from 3.5 to 4.1 U1, but in the end I built a 2 node cluster for server only and teh remaining 5 are only desktop..but it can be done.

RPs are your friend. But yes, you can mix. It's not odd to see view host pairs/triples though too, since they page share so nice

Our instance will be small. We will just be spread out a bit. The nice thing is that we have esxi at each locations. The nice thing is right now the size we are our desktop pool wouldn't be more than 60 total desktops.

Honestly, the storage load is the biggest problem with View - RAM and CPU consolidate great with them, but they do all use IOPS. Generally recommend at least 30-40 IOPS per VM, which would be 1800+ front end IOPS depending on your environment - depending on what you have for a storage platform, it's not hard to outrun things with that.

Honestly, the storage load is the biggest problem with View - RAM and CPU consolidate great with them, but they do all use IOPS. Generally recommend at least 30-40 IOPS per VM, which would be 1800+ front end IOPS depending on your environment - depending on what you have for a storage platform, it's not hard to outrun things with that.
can't wait to try VDI with the new VSA and SSDs.

Back