view registry on secondary hard drive?

jslater25

Limp Gawd
Okay, I'm in the process of loading all my programs onto a new hard drive because I installed Windows 7. I moved my old Windows XP hard drive to become a slave drive so that I would not lose any data until I had time to move everything that I wanted.

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost at least one CD-key necessary for installing some of my games (BF2... old I know, but still my favorite game). I have the install disk, but not my CD key. So I figured I could find that in the registry, but I'm kinda tired of pulling the hard drives and swapping them around (long story, but basically I tried a couple methods for installing Windows 7's Easy Transfer Wizard. In the end I couldn't get this to work because I bought the 64bit Windows 7 and my Windows XP is 32, so I got error messages trying to install).

Does anyone have a method for checking the registry on a slave hard drive? Or am I going to have to pull the beast out and crack the case again?

Thanks nessus.
In the end, I ended up changing the BIOS to boot from Win XP drive. I've looked around in the registry, and it looks like one of the patches has encrypted the cd key. Guess I'll see if calling EA helps...

After digging around in my moving boxes still unpacked in the garage, I managed to come across the cd keys for both BF2 and SF. So, I get to start the install finally!

Save all your keys in spread sheet some place and they'll be easily accessible when you go to reinstall. After a few moves and having stuff in storage I found that invaluable.

After digging around in my moving boxes still unpacked in the garage, I managed to come across the cd keys for both BF2 and SF. So, I get to start the install finally!

That was a close call :). If you still can, it would probably be very wise to register the game if you still can just in case you lose the key again. Makes dealing with EA about lost keys or discs a whole lot easier.

Back