Videos of system hanging.. help me troubleshoot..

dualism

n00b
http://www.polarism.com/computer/hangvid/

I already reformatted multiple times, i've tried 81.89/s, 81.94/s, 81.95's, modified's, etc.. i've tried 6.66/7/70, the compilations.. you name it.

No drivers seem to fix it. I'm starting to think it's the power supply, already have an ocz modstream 520 on the way because i've heard the neopower 480 I have might not be enough.

I took the overclock off, never oc'd the video card.

This all began when I started using MBM5/Smartguardian, but those aren't even on the system anymore after the last reformat.

Help?

Speakers, yes. It doesn't COMPELTELY hang though, I can ctrl alt del (takes a minute) and kill the app.

I never modified MBM5 from default, I used a version on the DFI support board.

dualism said:
Speakers, yes. It doesn't COMPELTELY hang though, I can ctrl alt del (takes a minute) and kill the app.

I never modified MBM5 from default, I used a version on the DFI support board.
Ok, it could be a bad disk, may not be. Try running Memtest and check to make sure your memory is good.

I had one of those big codec packs (Ace mega) installed and for some reason it seemed to give me similar problems.

If your ram checks out good, run a thorough scandisk. This semi-locking and crappy system performance issue you described could be caused by a failing HD (the page file is corrupted so Windows starts to choke).

Also, have you checked your event logs to see if any info on the error as been recorded there?

That's the thing.

Windows doesn't choke. Most other games don't choke (source based only, and Sudeki).

I validated my gcf files already through steam.

Wait, so its just CS: Source, DOD: Source, and other steam apps!? Then the problems lies either in your network or steam. You can play other games over the internet right? Try re-installing steam and sudeki. You also may just need a good defrag.

what sound settings are you using in those games? I remember from back in the day the Creative Environmental Audio can sometimes be buggy and crash systems. In those games, try using basic sound settings and see if that fixes the problems.

Also, what sound card drivers are you using, Creative or MS. Which ever you are using, try the other.

It's in my sig. Audigy2ZS Gamer.

Yes, source, sudeki, quake4 crashes to desktop randomly.

Yeah, I saw that you had creative card. Set the sound settings in those games that crash your system to the most basic settings and see if that fixes the issues.

I ran a test speaker settings.. every speaker but the right rear has a big red ERROR on it..on LOW settings in the game. There are not really any audio options in source games..just high/med/low, that's it.

Just update the sound drivers for your card.

EDIT: I can't seem to find the drivers you need :( but there should always be more than one driver for anything.

Creative only has ONE driver for the ZS Gamer. And it's a BETA driver at that.

How sorry is that on their part.. they can't even produce an official driver for their card.

That blows...

Try uninstalling the card and rebooting. See if Windows has a driver that will work with it. Make sure to check the Windows Update option when your system is searching for the driver.

Windows doesn't. This cannot be the problem, hundreds of thousands of people have this sound card.

maybe your right, but you did show Big Red X's on all but one speaker. Which more literally translated means that it is having issues communicating with that speaker channel.

I don't think this will help, but its worth a shot: Try disconnecting all your speakers, and see if you can run the game like that.

No, there is only one driver version.

Those are old updates superseeded by (and included with) the beta driver.

I'm not going to revert my drivers by 2 years, and cause more problems than i'm already having. No offense to you of course, I really appreciate all the help I am getting here :)

I'm about to just sell the thing and upgrade to an x-fi..lol

blackrino9 said:
There are 3 driver versions available on there website. Unistall that beta crap and install the newest non-beta version.

http://us.creative.com/support/down...33&OS=10&drivertype=0&Image4.x=20&Image4.y=11

Using Beta drivers from Creative makes me cringe... their non-beta drivers are bad enough.

And read what it says on the last line for the beta driver notes that I pasted below....... (I bolded it) There's your "red X" error message reason.

THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA DRIVER. We recommend that only experienced users install this driver. Make sure you uninstall the existing drivers for the audio devices listed above.
To uninstall the existing drivers:
Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.
Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon. The Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box appears.
Click the Install/Uninstall tab.
Select the driver for your audio device and then click the Add/Remove button.
Do not install this driver for the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS, Sound Blaster Audigy SE or Sound Blaster Audigy Value audio device.
Some Creative applications such as Surround Mixer, THX Console, and Creative MediaSource™ may not work properly with this beta driver.

Yes I read that. i didn't install the audio console.

Their older drivers are worse than this beta driver, trust me, i've tried them before. It causes most of my games to crash.

On my nforce3 they worked fine, the beta ones.

Not on my nforce4

I use their drivers listed on this site and they work fine :confused:

(Not the Beta ones obviously)

Which ones?

I cannot even install anything except the beta, they say they need previous versions to be able to install.

Ok, found my CD.

I tried the ORIGINAL driver from the CD.

Same exact problem.

I updated to the may 05 ones on the site. Same problem

I just called creative and i'm RMA'ing the card.

Back