Video's in Firefox?

galdoes16

Gawd
I cant seem to play Windows media videos in Fireforx, but Firefox does quicktime's no prob. The type of video I'm talking about are on sites like streetfire.net. I have Windows Media Player 10 installed, all XP updates and all.

This is what I get:

I actually have the exact same problem with streetfire. I just d/led the IE View extension for Firefox. It adds a right click option to the menu to view the page/link in IE to bypass the problem. Not really a fix I guess...

On a side note, I don't know if it might be a problem with Streetfire itself as I have been able to view embedded WMVs from some other sites in FF without a problem...

FuSoYa said:
I actually have the exact same problem with streetfire. I just d/led the IE View extension for Firefox. It adds a right click option to the menu to view the page/link in IE to bypass the problem. Not really a fix I guess...

On a side note, I don't know if it might be a problem with Streetfire itself as I have been able to view embedded WMVs from some other sites in FF without a problem...
I view embeded WMV in FireFox all the time. Might be a problem in how it was embeded in the site. Ebaums World works fine in my browser.

It could be that he needs the Windows Media plugin that Firefox is telling him he needs to download in that screenshot.

It COULD be.

But I'm no expert.

I had the same issue. Do you use the Extension "AdBlock"? TO fix it, I had to disable the AdBlocksetting for OBJ-TABS. go to Tools, Adblock, Preferences. The Adblock Options, make sure OBJ-TABS is unchecked. Worked for me, hope it does for you too.

galdoes16 said:
I cant seem to play Windows media videos in Fireforx, but Firefox does quicktime's no prob. The type of video I'm talking about are on sites like streetfire.net. I have Windows Media Player 10 installed, all XP updates and all.

Do you have javascript disabled in Firefox? If you do this is probably causing the problem. For some reason Firefox doesn't like displaying a embedded windows media player with javascript disabled even if the site is not using any javascript in the embed code. This used to crash pre 1.5 Firefox browsers.

As a test I just went to the site you went to with 1.5 and disabled javascript then clicked a video, the embedded video didn't display. I then enabled javascript and reloaded the page and it displayed and played.

If you do javascript enabled, make sure you have you have WMP10 set to play the file format in question. Check download actions in Firefox and see what program it's using to play the file type you want. Also make sure you don't have two media players set to play the same file type.

By the way I also have adblock plus installed.

kumquat said:
It could be that he needs the Windows Media plugin that Firefox is telling him he needs to download in that screenshot.

It COULD be.

But I'm no expert.

Am I the only other one that agrees with you?

Milenko said:
Am I the only other one that agrees with you?

All it does is send to you Microsoft's site to download Windows Media Player. It has to do with how a site implements the videos. Some sites with Windows Media videos work fine in Firefox, others don't. I haven't bothered looking at the page source to figure out the pattern.

If you have WMP 10 installed you have the plugin needed to play embedded videos with a source code calling on WMP.

Fear not. I have the same issue. It's just how websites use the plugins.

<embed allowScriptAccess="never"src="http://yiffzer.250free.com/myspace.wav" autostart="true" loop="false" height="0" width="0"></embed>

This plugin for WMP refuses to work on FF. But it does for IE.

-J.

GeForceX said:
Fear not. I have the same issue. It's just how websites use the plugins.

This plugin for WMP refuses to work on FF. But it does for IE.

-J.
They work fine for me on that site using FF.

Back