Videos hitching - Vista 64 bit

MittWaffen

Limp Gawd
Weird problem, recently my videos have been playing 1-30 seconds then hard lock 1-2 second.

This has recently began within the past week.

Updated codecs, drivers etc.
Ran HDTACH - all looks fine.

Anyone have more insight into what might be the root cause?

Player? Codec? Format and container of your videos?

Its just shooting in the dark without that basic information.

Sorry,

Im playing AVI right now using Divix as the codec.
Played on WMP 11 latest version.

I've done everything I can think of next to a reformat. I might uninstall every driver I have and reinstall them after a full system clean if the problem isn't tracked down.

First of all, stop using WMP. That was your first problem.

Grab one of the newer builds of MediaPlayerClassic - HomeCinema from here. If you still have issues, grab a newer build of ffdshow-mt from that same site and set MPC-HC to use it.

If you find DLing and setting up MPC/ffdshow to complicated, turn in your [H] account and download VLC. :D

WMP and WMP classic both just interface directly with DirectShow. I've used WMP11 as my player for a very long time now under Vista x64 and have no problem playing any type of DivX or XviD (or anything else, for that matter). Pretty much the only reason at this point to actually need Windows Media Player Classic is if you hate the WMP interface for some reason.

That said, if you're still using DivX's proprietary codec, you should probably uninstall it. It is pretty much bloatware unless you want soft subtitles that are in Xsub format rather than SubStation Alpha or similar formats. I don't think I've ever run into a video file that has Xsub subs personally, so I don't think this will be a problem.

So, uninstall DivX. Then google ffdshow-tryouts and download that. Open up the video decoder configuration program and make sure it is set to convert XviD with ffmpeg (think it might be set up that way by default, actually). If for any reason that's not working for you, search for Koepi's XviD build and install that.

I'm the type of person who hates WMC - so i fixed the problem, uninstalled ALL codecs and video/sound/sata drivers and reinstalled it all. Did recompressions to my drives and many defrags. Got rid of WMP and reinstalled it, aswell as VLC for the movies that are picky.

All seems well, thank you for the help everyone....back to my 15 hour world war two on film....

Back