Videocards that support 2+ DVI monitors

TFchris

[H]ard|Gawd
I am planning to upgrade my GPU to something along the lines of a GTX1080 or GTX1080TI, but I have two QNIX monitors which both use Dual DVI ports and these new GPUs only have one DVI port.

Now, I know there are display port to DVI adapters, but I read they do not support the overclocks on the monitors past 60Hz.

Does anyone know a way around this?

The only way I'm aware of to get a secondary DVI-D port on a 1080/TI without sacrificing the actual dual link functionality is to get an active DisplayPort adapter, but those are neither cheap, nor 100% reliable from my understanding. This one from StarTech is about the highest rated one I can find, and it runs about $110 and is very limited on max resolution and refresh rate, but I'm unsure what your monitor resolution is to start.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just sold my gigabyte 1070 itx that had 2 dvi ports. I don't know if there's a 1080 or 1080ti that has it as I've seen DVI going away.

I always thought dvi-d was was just an upgrade to dvi, was there anything function wise over a video signal that it provided?

Also I got display port to dvi-d cords from amazon for only $8 and they all seem to work, but I'll admit I'm probably missing something that the op is specifically looking for.

Essentially DVI-D removed the analog signal from the port. DVI-I supported either digital signals or analog (using a DVI-I to VGA adapter for example) and DVI-D removed that functionality in favor of 100% digital signal.

DP to DVI-D cords may or may not work properly depending on your setup. I was actually just replying in another thread to someone having issues with these adapters in their particular setup in that their monitor is not being recognized by the graphics card after going through the adapter here. But even beyond that, the main issue that OP would run into based on what they're looking for would be attempting to overclock the monitor over 60Hz through a converter. I'm not sure that's at all possible with existing converters.

Get the Gigabyte 1070 itx and problem solved. Overclock to your heart's content. Have 2 machines with dual Qnix monitors and was facing same probs. Luv those dual screen setups

The only way I'm aware of to get a secondary DVI-D port on a 1080/TI without sacrificing the actual dual link functionality is to get an active DisplayPort adapter, but those are neither cheap, nor 100% reliable from my understanding. This one from StarTech is about the highest rated one I can find, and it runs about $110 and is very limited on max resolution and refresh rate, but I'm unsure what your monitor resolution is to start.

I have an Active Display Port Adapter by them to run the mini display port on my laptop to a DVI hook up for my BenQ monitor. I only run at 1080p but I do use 120hz which it handles fine. When I turn on 144hz it gets snowy, not sure if that's the port or something else, I just stick to the 120.

I have an Active Display Port Adapter by them to run the mini display port on my laptop to a DVI hook up for my BenQ monitor. I only run at 1080p but I do use 120hz which it handles fine. When I turn on 144hz it gets snowy, not sure if that's the port or something else, I just stick to the 120.

Do you happen to know which adapter you have? It'd be good to know which one handles 120hz without an issue for my own reference.

Do you happen to know which adapter you have? It'd be good to know which one handles 120hz without an issue for my own reference.

This is what I have. StarTech.com MDP2DVID. Note that it is for a Mini Display Port > DVI. Not sure if that is exactly what you need or not. Anyways I've had it for.... something like 3 or 4 years? It's been working just fine no issues aside from not being able to run at 144hz but I also can't say for sure that is the adapters issue. It appears that in the newegg reviews someone states they run 144hz on 3 asus monitors with no issues using this adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MDP2DVID-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Powered/dp/B004I6L6DW

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158262

This is what I have. StarTech.com MDP2DVID. Note that it is for a Mini Display Port > DVI. Not sure if that is exactly what you need or not. Anyways I've had it for.... something like 3 or 4 years? It's been working just fine no issues aside from not being able to run at 144hz but I also can't say for sure that is the adapters issue. It appears that in the newegg reviews someone states they run 144hz on 3 asus monitors with no issues using this adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MDP2DVID-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Powered/dp/B004I6L6DW

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158262

Awesome - Thanks! All of them have such mixed reviews, so I suppose it may depend on your individual setup, but I will definitely keep this one in mind.

Back