Videocard shortages!!!!

gpitpitan

Limp Gawd
Is this the first time theres been a shortage of new gen cards? or is it the same story every time a new card gets released. i was thinking that there was a shortage because these new cards were actually WORTH plunking down the couple hundred to get your hands on one...but then again i havent really followed releases of new cards until these. Anyone wanna school me?

a reason is cause of GDDR3 shortages

the same problem was experienced by the nv30 when it was released because of DDRII shortages

that happens sometimes when you employ brand new technologies, just give it time, things will ramp up....

which leads us to the next question. Why is DDR 3 so hard to produce in yield? Id venture to guess that its the strict standards of quality? Or just something inherent about the tech that produces low yields.

Brent_Justice said:
a reason is cause of GDDR3 shortages

the same problem was experienced by the nv30 when it was released because of DDRII shortages

that happens sometimes when you employ brand new technologies, just give it time, things will ramp up....

But when Brent? I've been fucking waiting since the beginning of the year, and the only thing holding up my brand new system is the video card :mad: Motherfucking paper launch :mad: :mad:

It's more that the memory makers haven't had capacity. Now that there is demand they will make capacity. There is also lead time between when capacity ramps up, the modules are sent to the video card manufacturer, the card is built and boxed, then shipped to the stores.

There is usually a delay if new tech is being deployed on the video card. This isn't the first, and probably will not be the last time.

DDR3 is awesome my x800pro memory came stock at 450, i have em overclocked at 620 (I keep em at 610 just to on the safe side for now) without any cooling, i wonder what they will be stable at with copper ramsinks?

What I think is funny how there could be similarities if looked into the market between RAM manufacturers in Asia and the OPEC in the Middle East...

It's all about controlling the supply when the demand is high in order to bank big from us cornbreaders over here on this side of the planet.... Fucking smart bastards...

</me thinks of a way to produce the next-gen vid card that runs off gasoline and uses DDR>

that seems to be a pretty good analogy. Only a few companies actually MAKE the ram chips. Lets see...hynix, winbond, samsung, micron? how many more are there.

advanced101101 said:
DDR3 is awesome my x800pro memory came stock at 450, i have em overclocked at 620 (I keep em at 610 just to on the safe side for now) without any cooling, i wonder what they will be stable at with copper ramsinks?

Don't put RAM sinks on them. Did you notice that the big heatsink isn't covering them? They did this because how cool DDRIII runs. They(don't remember who) said that if you put RAM sinks on that you might actually increase the temps on the RAM. I remember reading this in a review somewhere, check around.

maybe they dont throw em away, their just DDR 2 modules lol or something. I guess it might be along the same lines of what people say here sometimes, that some of the 30 cappers we see were failed EE p4's.

Major_A said:
Don't put RAM sinks on them. Did you notice that the big heatsink isn't covering them? They did this because how cool DDRIII runs. They(don't remember who) said that if you put RAM sinks on that you might actually increase the temps on the RAM. I remember reading this in a review somewhere, check around.
Heh, my pro's gdr III's ram burned to the touch, if that's cool I'd hate to see how hot ddr2 was

as far as i know ati has been selling 100k+ x800 cards to customers like dell and gateway .. and didnt stash a few aside for us ..

W1zzard said:
as far as i know ati has been selling 100k+ x800 cards to customers like dell and gateway .. and didnt stash a few aside for us ..
Probably an early batch that couldn't quite run at the announced retail clocks... Dell 9800pro anyone? Or was that an XT they underclocked...

I think its pathetic personally, nvidia "launch" their cards 2 months ago or so and as yet barely anyone has one. Ati aren't much better, Imo these "launch" events should be when they have a sufficient enough stock to actually sell to the public. Gets pretty sad year in year out when they "launch" a product and maybe 2 months down the line you're lucky if you've seen even one on store shelves. :rolleyes: Seems theyre more concered with running their cockholsters about ps3 and omg our framerates are better than actually getting the damn thing out for the average consumer.

Major_A said:

As i noted in another thread, after OCing my x800pro memory and playing a game, the memory gets extremely hot, i burned my finger touching one :(

Yeah, it really does get to me. They hype the living hell out of these things to get you spun up, then they don't have any to sell.

Stop complaining about these shortages, ati and nvidia cant do much when there isnt enough GDDR3 to go around, if you really wanted a next gen card, you would have one (maybe not the brand that you want, but beggers cant be choosers!)

advanced101101 said:
Stop complaining about these shortages, ati and nvidia cant do much when there isnt enough GDDR3 to go around, if you really wanted a next gen card, you would have one (maybe not the brand that you want, but beggers cant be choosers!)

Thats not the point, why "launch" a card when they can't even get the damn things on store shelves? Launch = buyable product, the x800 pro is BARELY buyable, the x800xt is practically non existant and there are little to no 6800 ultra boards. Thats their idea of a launch? Youd think common sense would prevail and these companies would actually launch the boards when they have enough of them to sell instead of us listening to their rhetoric about 220 million tranistors or ps3 or only 1 power connector, heard this crap for months on end now and ive still to see any of these things in stores.

the video card companies cant predict the flow of GDDR3 (ati prob), and Nvidia, well i dont like them, so i wont defend them :D . The only thing that could've prevented this, is if they made the cards before the launch, then you would be complaining about the release dates being pushed back becasue of the memory shortages. they are selling what they are making, be happy with that!

advanced101101 said:
the video card companies cant predict the flow of GDDR3 (ati prob), and Nvidia, well i dont like them, so i wont defend them :D . The only thing that could've prevented this, is if they made the cards before the launch, then you would be complaining about the release dates being pushed back becasue of the memory shortages. they are selling what they are making, be happy with that!

I would have preferred the release date pushed back a bit and have a larger amount of boards than this pisstake theyre doing currently. On the subject of "release" btw, you could pretty much say its already been pushed back, nvidia = 2 months ago for their "launch" and ati around a month and a half or so.

Id say it'll be around august\september before we really see these cards in the mainstream and in large quantities. And thats going on optomism.

the situation is a disgusting one, I wish someone would start a website, bashing these video companies for what they have done. Just like the person did for the Sapphire cards, and we see how quickly after that they took action.

Caliche

If the release date was pushed back then none of us would have this card, and better some of us have it than none!

A "shortage" - A deficiency in amount; an insufficiency. Lack of adequate amounts....

A "paper launch" - Introducing the Gecko-Matic! It slices! It dices! At a store near you! ( Hmmm no Gecko-Matics at the stores)

This....is a shortage. :D

I haven't seen this kind of frenzy since the GeForce256 and GeForce DDR came out. I remember searching everywhere for the DDR because the SDR 256 blew in comparison.

I disagree.. I didn't buy the X800Pro or preorder the 6800U for Doom3 or HL2. I bought them so I can play games that I currently have better. (ie FarCry).

I would hate to see what it would be like if D3/HL2 were already available. :eek:

agar said:
I would hate to see what it would be like if D3/HL2 were already available. :eek:

Well acutally most people wouldn't see what it was like. We would be too busy playing. :p

StArWaRrIoR said:
I disagree.. I didn't buy the X800Pro or preorder the 6800U for Doom3 or HL2. I bought them so I can play games that I currently have better. (ie FarCry).

Besides FARCRY.. what else was pushing your system that you were playing that you had to get a X800Pro or the 6800U.... emm? :confused:

MeTaSpARKs said:
Besides FARCRY.. what else was pushing your system that you were playing that you had to get a X800Pro or the 6800U.... emm? :confused:

Counter-strike :rolleyes:

Chris_B said:
Id say it'll be around august\september before we really see these cards in the mainstream and in large quantities. And thats going on optomism.

And when they push it back that far, It'll be time for the friggin fall refresh before they even get the first gen out the door, yeah its stupid. :(

I have a feeling D3 and HL2 will be out b4 any of us, including the rest of the world will get their 6800's and x800's that we have so patiently have been waiting for, and by the time we get them hypothetically speaking its gonna be time to upgrade again, im getting fucking pissed myself, I see im not the only one here that had just had it with their release date bullshit...

well seems to me ati is getting more cards to the people.
nvidia has delivered what 5 cards to the public LOL

these x800 pros oc like monsters and can easily beat stock gts and ultras speeds at ALL resolution

plus we actually have them installed..hehe

Far Cry

Using Max settings.
Map: Fort Demo: BenchemallDefaultDemo

640x480 not selected
800x600 not selected
1024x768
run# 0: Average FPS: 68.78
run# 1: Average FPS: 70.28

1280x1024
run# 0: Average FPS: 67.07
run# 1: Average FPS: 67.06

1600x1200
run# 0: Average FPS: 58.14
run# 1: Average FPS: 59.61

I decided to pay a visit to my local PC club just to see if they even had any new cards in stock. They recieved a shipment of fifteen x800 pros....sold out in one day. AND get this, at 469.99....thats 70 friggin dollars over MSRP. It was hard to hide my disbelief. I think its the combined HL2, Doom 3 preperation....DDR3 tech problems...and the actual performance of these things. It's all just feeding the fire, and look how some guy spend almost 1grand on a damn 6800 i believe?

One things for sure, it sure is good to be ATI right now, their selling out faster then they can make em. As we speak, every single card coming off that assembly line is already spoken for lol...

splooger said:
But when Brent? I've been fucking waiting since the beginning of the year, and the only thing holding up my brand new system is the video card :mad: Motherfucking paper launch :mad: :mad:

I've heard that "paper launch" term used before, I dont understand it:( clue me in.

Back