videocard modding, is articsilver5 enough?

lurker-drop

Limp Gawd
So I did some work on my radeon9100... heh i know only radeon9100 but whatever I was bored and it's a good way to learn without killing a 200$+ video card...

What I did was just add some ramsinks w/ thermal tape that came with
and for the HSF i replaced the stock one, that I believe was actually glued on :eek: with my voodoo3 heatsink and a pentium1 cpu fan... I wouldve put the pentium1 heatsink on it but it was way too big and I don't have any metal cutting tools...

But the v3 heatsink is still better than the stock one because its bigger and more spread out... The fan is also great, decent sized+quiet with good airflow...

My question... I used artic silver 5 as my thermal paste, it seems to stick my new HSF on it BUT it won't hold it tightly.
As this video board doesnt have any screws to mount the HSF securely I have to rely on paste...

What should I do? with a little force i can move the HSF around but it would take a big more twist/pulling to fully pull it off...

I know there is a 'break-in' time for new paste, is this the case ??

Will it glue eventually? I let it settle for about 5 hours now on its on... Right now I am running it on a computer hoping the paste might melt and stick the HSF better...
Should I just find some kind of glue to glue it on like the original stock hsf was? What type of glue is it?

sounds like you probably need thermal adhesive to attach the heatsink instead of thermal paste, its a 2-part adhesive like an epoxy. look on www.svc.com for some.

You can mix them, but the adhesive itself should hold.

Just relate it to CPUs.. AS5 helps on a CPU because of the huge amount of heat being put out by the processor, but the heatsink is held on by retension clips, so the stress of the HSF isn't placed on the paste and ultimately the chip itself...

Back