video wall

schnell

Gawd
The company I work for wants to try and build a video wall on the cheap with 8 plasma tv's. I am guessing that a few video cards and maybe ultra-mon to help with the displays and it should be up and running.

What I am curious about is if they want to display some high res video across all the monitors will the video cards need to be anything special because of the monitor span or will pretty much any modern $50-100 video card be able to handle it?

no one has any insight?

8 displays isn't a common thing. Does Ultramon make the displays span as 1? If not the only thing I can think of is that you'll be unable to use full screen mode - you'd have to resize a window to cover all displays.

check out this thread. get whatever card you need to do the rendering (this depends on if youre doing browsing and desktop/HD video/gaming) and then add a couple 5450s to get the rest of the display inputs you need. then use software triplehead to span the displays. :) itll take a little work and probably some questioning on the forums, but its definitely doable and if all youre doing is playing video then you can probably get all the gpu power you need for like $200. oh and im not sure what outputs hes using on his cards so i asked and hopefully there will be an answer for you soon. i am pretty sure you dont have to use displayport.

Back