Video Security sytem.

raksasas

Limp Gawd
I am not sure if this may be the right section but it deals with a network. I am wanting to put together a security system that runs over a network. I would like to use POE (power over Ethernet). That way I only have to run one cable to the camera. I am wanting to a total of 4 systems, all mounted outdoors. Since they will be outdoor inferred is a must for night. Since it's over the network I would like to be able to pull and playback and/or watch a live feed.

So, if anyone is familiar with a setup like this please chime in with a recommend camera and storage DVR setup.

The surveillance geeks in here will need more info... Does it have to be fully network-based? Or will just a network uplink for viewing be acceptable? Budget? Size of the area(s) that need to be monitored?

I would prefer full network based. It will be on a dedicated network switch for it.

Ok, Then you realize that IP Cams are quite pricey and Day/Night IP Cams with IR illumination are even pricier. That's before the POE Infrastructure is even accounted for. Keep in mind too that you can do IR illumination separately, and that the IR lights do a MUCH better job than the itty bitty IR led's in the cams. Do you need PTZ capability?

When you mentioned "4 systems" before, are you referring to 4 specific systems? Or 1 system with 4 Cameras?

With an IP Cam system, you'll be looking at an "NVR" Network Video Recorder, as well. Some common software brands for those are GO1984, Luxriot, iNetcam. Most manufacturers will also have available their own software for smaller setups.

research link: http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/softwarecompanies.html

Can you shed a little more light on what you're trying to accomplish?

1. What is your budget?
2. What kind of image quality do you need?
3. How far back do you need to save the videos far?
4. How many hours a day is going to be recorded?
5. Does it require to be in color?
6. Is PTZ required?

I'm sure there's more questions.

Ok, Then you realize that IP Cams are quite pricey and Day/Night IP Cams with IR illumination are even pricier. That's before the POE Infrastructure is even accounted for. Keep in mind too that you can do IR illumination separately, and that the IR lights do a MUCH better job than the itty bitty IR led's in the cams. Do you need PTZ capability?

When you mentioned "4 systems" before, are you referring to 4 specific systems? Or 1 system with 4 Cameras?

With an IP Cam system, you'll be looking at an "NVR" Network Video Recorder, as well. Some common software brands for those are GO1984, Luxriot, iNetcam. Most manufacturers will also have available their own software for smaller setups.

research link: http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/softwarecompanies.html

Can you shed a little more light on what you're trying to accomplish?

No need for ptz. Right now just need 4 cameras, and have an idea for expanding

1. What is your budget?
2. What kind of image quality do you need?
3. How far back do you need to save the videos far?
4. How many hours a day is going to be recorded?
5. Does it require to be in color?
6. Is PTZ required?

I'm sure there's more questions.

1. 5k but I can push 6k
2. not grainy at 1024/760
3. 1 week
4. 24 hours, unless the system can record only during movement
5. Would like to be in color, except at night, inferred
6. No

I'm a fan of Axis Security camera's, they have some amazing video quality, the recording software along is $600, then the camera cost, they have POE or wireless camera's.

You will need a storage server for the video.

I'm wiring my house up with CAT6 and was going to throw in a few POE cameras until I looked up the prices for said camera. :eek: Add to that the fact that most of the switches I'm currently looking at don't support POE. :rolleyes:

i have used 4xem.com

lorex gear looks good may use them on my girlfriends office.

axis camera are nice but expensive

newegg also has some careass

check out luxor i would use one of their bundles, vostro computer running the software and cameras =)

Last edited:
I've used the Q-See network video recorders. Very good bang for your buck. Also, you can commonly buy it through costco...so the warranty is awesome.

I'm using a Lorex kit. The cameras are decent and do POE. The software allows me to run the server in a remote location and install clients so I can view from work/home. All in all, I have about $350 invested w/ 4 cameras.

Back