Video Roadmaps

Hyperion

[H]ard|Gawd
Where can I find sufficiently accurate (and sufficiently detailed) technology roadmaps for both
ATI and nVidia?

I guess what I mean is: does anyone know, with some degree of certainty, when both
companies are going to have mid-range offerings on the shelves sporting 45nm technology?

Thats a good question, i've been wondering that myself. So far the only information i've heard about the future of video cards is unofficial guesses and rumors.

The future of processors is much more laid out by Intel, they already told about the successor to penryn. I forget the code name but it's a totally new archetecture based on 45nm. Sounds really good.

Nehalem ... Penryn's successor is called Nehalem (due in 2009), we even know that Nehalem
should be followed by Gesher due in roughly 2011.

If only the video boys would pull finger and give us an idea of what to expect. :(

I'm starting to think that ati/nvidia prefer hype-building "leaks" to actual information for upcoming products. Given that each successive generation tends to blow the previous one away, they wouldn't want to cannibalize current sales by officially announcing a product that's faster than anything currently available. That said, the leaking tends to happen 2-3 months before a product is released, so I guess you could consider that a short-term roadmap.

I'm starting to think the R&D cycles in the video industry are way shorter and more reactive,
which means that not even ATI nor nVidia know what they will be doing in 12 months time!

:D

Intel has good roadmaps because they know what they're doing and where they want to go. They have a bunch of teams working on different stuff. Nvidia is not going to release new product if ATI flops so if they made a roadmap that would be too obvious. Let's just milk old tech, why spend money developing new tech. ATI is not going to have a roadmap either incase they flop like last year. So there you go. GPU companies are not as solid as far as getting product out on time and making sure it's actually good. They don't plan ahead as they probably don't have a bunch of different teams working on future processors. I'm going to venture to say they're engineering department is much smaller with less funds then what Intel has. I mean did Nvidia even have a single engineer working during 2007? They came up with absolutely nothing new. Unless the whole year they were working on stuff for 2008. This also leads me to believe they only do one project at a time with a single team.

Of course this is all just my speculation. :D

Back