video now overly white/corrupted?

arnemetis

2[H]4U
This is a peculialar problem that cropped up I think around the time I installed bard's tale a short while ago. While trying to play a video file in avi/mpg format, in windows media player or windows media player classic, the file plays, sound is fine, but picture is overly white or color corrupted. this happens with every movie file I have now. I downloaded bsplayer to see if that resolved it, but same. I have the latest versions of divx/xvid/ffdshow, all uninstalled and reinstalled in different combinations, in many cases, just plain mpeg files will do this. However, in the end, windvd 6.0 plays all my files, except for a select few (which im guessing it cant handle) flawlessly. :confused: SO now I ask whatever video gurus may be out there; how to resolve this issue? I prefer to play files in media player classic. I have checked for viruses and spyware on the odd chance it was that, but nothing found. Thank you very much for any input on this.

Are you running the latest Nvidia video drivers? Apparently the latest revision is causing all sorts of video color issues. Several threads on the issue cropped up since the release.

Possible Fix (Source: NvNews forums):
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to color correction. In the first tab, change to ALL, then hit RESTORE DEFAULTS.
Then hit OK. problem solved. It will move gamma back to 1.00

It's a bug with the overlay settings. Go to Display Properties->Advanced and open the Geforce tab. Go to color correction, select Apply to Overlay and All Channels. Then change color profile from standard to advanced, you should now get a straight line in the graph. Hit apply and you are done.

that was exactly it!! I should of listed display driver version in my original post. I had installed the latest version to try and resolve a slowdown issue in bards tale(which didnt work). Thanks a lot for the quick reply, I had ruled out display drivers as windvd could still play it!

Thank god.

I have been having troubles with this since I formatted. I thought it was because I had used Nlite to disable some things with my xp cd and it was causing media player colour problems. I was just about to reinstall again and see if that fixed anything.

Im so lucky I found this thread lol.

Thank you so much for posting this thread, and, more importantly, the fix. I knew it was something to do with those Nvidia drivers..

Always read the release notes before installing drivers, or at least the 'Open Issues' section in them. Information on bugs like this, and the work arounds, are usually posted there.

Back