• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video keeps shutting down on boot up/

AlCoTrAz

n00b
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
7
I havent had any computer problems until late. I was burning a DVD when My computer shut itself down. Upon booting back up where it listed my ide connections for my maxtor 160gig it said something like "axtory94390snosndguhfgoiuhr" instead of "Maxtor 160GB" and from there it would no boot anywhere. I unhooked the IDE cable and hooked it into another HD and it worked perfect so I plugged it into the 160gig again and this time it worked. But ever since this problem now when I turn on my computer the monitar kicks out of sleep mode and tells me the message of self test (which it shows if you turn the monitar on without the computer) and no picture comes on. Ill hold the power down for 5sec and turn the pc back on and the picture will show fine and start booting sometimes when loading windows it will cut out again while other it will make it to windows xp and it will never give you a problem til you shut down the pc again. Can anyone tell me what this may be from?? I am lost.
 
Sound like your harddrive is giving up on you.
Hook it up as a slave and do a backup, then run checkdisk on it.

You could try to format it and see if it fixes itself.
 
Well I replaced the HD with a brand new 160gb put a fresh install of everything on it and still same problem video on the monitar keeps shutting off. Its not teh monitar cause I hooked it to a different monitar and it still did it.
 
could be your cpu overheating on start up and auto shutting down.

open your case and make sure your heatsink is on proper and the right direction.

just a posibility.
 
I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a bad CPU (SOC 478 Celeron), popped in a P4 2.0 Northwood, and no more problems, put Celly back in and problems again. First time I've ever seen a bad CPU like that, it was good for a year or so before it died.
 
Well the computer is not turning off just the video to the monitar is being stopped is that the same problem you had or was the computer shutting off.
 
My computer does that sometimes and it did it last week. My problem is for some reason windows thinks I have 4 different default moniters even after a format sometime down the road windows eventually adds these other moniter drivers. Boot up and check and see if so uninstall all of them then reboot and it should be fine.
 
Well I bought a new video card but with this one the the screen will not even come on. I put the old one back in and same as before so I try to reinstall Win Xp but now the monitor is kicking of on the begining of the install before it even format the drive. I dont have a clue what to do now. I am totally lost.
 
It's the motehrboard most likely and if it is it's probably your psu that killed it.

~Adam
 
Back
Top