Video in PowerPoint on a Projector

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I've been battling this issue for a while, and was hoping someone would have some suggestions. We often put video clips in our presentations for our staff meetings. These come in the form of DVDs (without any copy protection in them). Regardless of what format I use to turn part of the DVD into a video clip, I'll find that it randomly won't display through the projector. They will always work on the laptop screen, but on the projector's output, we'll see a black box. Audio is always fine. Is there a suggested video file format that will work consistently through the projector? I've tried wmv, mpg, avi, and all randomly give me this issue.

The laptop is running XP Pro SP3, and we are using PowerPoint 2007. I've also tried these same files on my laptop with Vista Ultimate x64 SP1, and we've encountered the same random issues.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

That has nothing to do with file formats. It's an "anti-piracy" method to stop you from playing a dvd on your computer and running the other monitor connection to some sort of recording device to easily copy the movie. You need to set the projector as your primary monitor, and then it should work.

It also is partially related to the fact that hardware video overlays (which most video players use) can only be done on the primary monitor, but there are ways around that. Also, I don't know what OS you're using, but I'd suspect that Vista/7 probably don't use the old hardware overlays anyway.

Also, I don't know what OS you're using, but I'd suspect that Vista/7 probably don't use the old hardware overlays anyway.
In my last line, I stated it is XP, which would probably be using the older hardware overlays. My laptop, that I've used to test this with, is Vista, but it had the same issues. I haven't ever tried making the projector the primary output device though.

In my last line, I stated it is XP, which would probably be using the older hardware overlays. My laptop, that I've used to test this with, is Vista, but it had the same issues. I haven't ever tried making the projector the primary output device though.

lol I fail at reading comprehension.

Also, what program are you using to play the files? I know that WMP displays this behavior, but maybe something like VLC would get around it?

I haven't been using a program to play the files....I've been playing them inside of PowerPoint, embedded in a slide. If I take the same clips and play them with WMP11, I have no issues, but that's not my goal here. I would like them to consistently display on the projector's screen inside of PowerPoint, so the presenter can control the entire presentation themselves, rather than have me sit behind the laptop to switch over to WMP, play the clip, and go back to PowerPoint.

What version of powerpoint? If it is 2003 or newer try using presentation mode or presentation view to present. In this scenario, it won't display video on the laptop/desktop screen, but it will display it on the projector. Another low cost method to fixing this problem is to have the projector be the only monitor (either by disabling the onboard monitor if its a laptop or using a splitter if its a desktop).

Thats from my PowerPoint experience and no real scientific proof behind it.

It's PowerPoint 2007. When you say presentation mode, do you mean something different than the full screen slide show view, aka, hitting F5?

http://communityclips.officelabs.com/Video.aspx?videoId=64b45c9a-b9e5-445b-947a-21deb8a23110

I meant Presenter View (d'oh).

No I don't just mean hitting F5. Assuming you have 2 independent screens connected, go to the slide show ribbon, then where is says resolution, show presentation on etc... Select the presentation to be shown on the projector. Then right under where it says show presentation there is a check mark "Presenter's View". Hit that and you'll get a special mode where you can see notes, select slides, but more importantly show videos inside PPT. Note, in this mode the videos won't play on the laptop/desktops primary monitor (the one thats not the projector). YMMV!

Back