• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video Games Can Improve Your Vision?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Finally, research that proves what we’ve known all along, video games are good for you and should be played at least a couple hours a day.

The researchers from the University of Rochester in New York found that people who play video games for a few hours a day over the course of a month can improve certain aspects of their vision by about 20 percent.
 
Wow if that is the case I should have X-RAY vision with the amount of hours I have logged into HL2: Deathmatch and FARCRY....

:p
 
well of course it does!! pffffttt! I'm not a gifted multitasking guru cause of eating too many carrots. but its not only eyesight, do the research on dexterity!
 
I call BS on this one. My eyesight has gone to hell and I blame it on my 4hr a day gamming habit. I'm sure next week we will have another study that counters this one.
 
This has already been discussed in another subforum.

It doesn't improve overall eyesight or make it sharper. It affects your speed/reflexes.
 
I call BS on this study as well, even the whole visual recognition part.

I now need glasses after almost 3 decades of 20/20 vision. I find it too much of a coincidence that my eyesight goes to hell, a year or so after I start work in which I am at a computer all day.
 
I've been using computers for the last fifteen years with 20/20 eyesight and it hasn't deteriorated at all.

Eyesight is perfectly capable of deteriorating on its own, and usually will. Good eyesight should typically stay the same with monitors, where poor eyesight to begin with can certainly be affected. Of course, your monitor is a big factor, especially its refresh rate.
 
I've been using computers for the last fifteen years with 20/20 eyesight and it hasn't deteriorated at all.

Eyesight is perfectly capable of deteriorating on its own, and usually will. Good eyesight should typically stay the same with monitors, where poor eyesight to begin with can certainly be affected. Of course, your monitor is a big factor, especially its refresh rate.

There is evidence that suggests that even young people with perfect vision, can suffer ill effects from computer use. Computer monitors are typically placed farther away then one who, lets say, hold a book. The resulting need for the eyes to focus at a non-typical distance can result in whats called "accommodative spasms" which may lead to increased or premature myopia.

Typically adults do not start to lose the ability to focus on close objects until they are over 40, and is know as presbyopia, or so my optometrist would have me believe.
 
I think I agree with the study.

I have craptastic vision...(my contact lense script is -7.0 in both eyes)....and has been bad since 1975.

No my eye sight hasn't gotten better with playing games, but my ability to distinguish shapes is much better than most people I know....and I think that is really what the article is saying.

"gave them a test that measured how well they could discern the orientation of a letter "T" within a crowd of other, distracting symbols."
 
I have craptastic vision...(my contact lense script is -7.0 in both eyes)....and has been bad since 1975.

When you blink, do your eyelids stop when they hit the top and bottom of your contact lens? I didn't think they made contacts thin enough at -7. Impressive.

J/K though :p
 
When you blink, do your eyelids stop when they hit the top and bottom of your contact lens? I didn't think they made contacts thin enough at -7. Impressive.

J/K though :p

LOL....no...I can blink...but I have been wearing contacts so long...the my cornea has grown blood vessels...because they don't get enough oxygen through my contacts.
 
LOL....no...I can blink...but I have been wearing contacts so long...the my cornea has grown blood vessels...because they don't get enough oxygen through my contacts.

HAHAH! Is that a joke or did your optometrist actually tell you that?
 
HAHAH! Is that a joke or did your optometrist actually tell you that?

no joke...dr said its "normal" for someone like me...hideous vision and contacts all day.

I am evolving!

muwahahaha...I can feel it working
 
If that was the case, my vision would be better than when I started playing video games (20/20)

Now.. my vision is pretty much way worse at a distance now.. enough that I need glasses for school, and driving.

Yeah, gaming definatly didn't help my eyesight.
 
I was always taught through grade school to take breaks every now and then while using computers, mainly for your eyes. Sitting 20-30 inches away from something, staring at it, I cant see how that does any good for the eye.

Though to be fair the study said "certain aspects" of vision, and reading the article, it seems to talk less about the eyes and more about how the brain actually processes image. I know I am (or at least Id like to think I am) far better now at quickly deciding whether an image has been photochopped or not... perhaps this is more like what the article is talking about?

As much as I would like to beleive that video-games have helped me (ones aside from shoot-em-ups), im just not sure. One thing to keep in mind, video-games do usually keep people like me from going out and blowing the whole paycheck on beer/guns/cars :p.
 
I think most of you see no benefit, because you beat off to much.

You know they cancel each other out.

:D
 
The article didn't measure vision in terms of "20/20," it just said people who play a lot can distinguish shapes better. That sounds reasonable.
 
I call BS on this study as well, even the whole visual recognition part.

I now need glasses after almost 3 decades of 20/20 vision. I find it too much of a coincidence that my eyesight goes to hell, a year or so after I start work in which I am at a computer all day.

This couldn't be because you are AGING?

I was born with 20/20. However, when I was 8 years old, I was accidentally sprayed in the right eye with a chemical. My vision in that eye went to 20/400 (legally blind, but no visible defects, i.e. my eyeball didn't go white or anything)

Last year, when I went to get new glasses, I tested at 20/150 in that eye.
and 20/10 in the left.

I do not wear glasses at the computer.
I spend about 10 hours a day in front of one.

I run the maximum resolutions of 1600x1200 on a 21.3", 2560x1600 on a 30", and 1920x1080 (most it supports) on a 37".

my only vision problem that I can discern are the depth perception caused by disparity in my eyes (which is not evident in 3d gaming, but only in the "real world") and the fact that I am light sensitive.

My reflexes are improved, my tracking speed and alertness are superior to anyone I know. Are computer games and computers in general the cause of my eye IMPROVEMENT? I dunno.. but I am sure the reflexes are.

Anyone ever see ronin? Remember when deniro knocked the cup off of the table and Stellan Skarsgård (Gregor) caught it mid fall? I do things like that on a daily basis, even from a (short)
distance.

I don't disbelieve this article.
I think it might be giving something more credit than is warranted, but it's not exactly "wrong"
 
Back
Top