Video Game Voice Actors Authorize Strike

All I can say is that I hope Steve Blum stops voice acting for...whatever reason possible. So sick of this dude in EVERYTHING. Really breaks immersion than anything...

Let's go back to games with no voice acting. Just subtitles and music. Problem solved.

Yea... no. Royalties to be a part of something seems extreme. If every participant wanted royalties, you can basically kiss games goodbye because of the amount of people involved in creating a big game these days. AAA especially.

And seriously, I don't see why these people need unions. I can't think of a reason, but I don't really know the intricacies that might be involved. Anyone care to enlighten me? Is it marketing them? Is it to ensure every voice actor gets a turn? Because if it's either of those, then fuck them.

Yea... no. Royalties to be a part of something seems extreme. If every participant wanted royalties, you can basically kiss games goodbye because of the amount of people involved in creating a big game these days. AAA especially.

And seriously, I don't see why these people need unions. I can't think of a reason, but I don't really know the intricacies that might be involved. Anyone care to enlighten me? Is it marketing them? Is it to ensure every voice actor gets a turn? Because if it's either of those, then fuck them.
Did you read the Wil Wheaton post? Companies want to penalize/fine people for not auditioning. They figure they've got their actors over the proverbial barrel and they're going to exploit that as much as they possibly can.

And, yes, they exploit other employees as well. Seems like a pretty good argument for unionization. Why aren't the employees working on that?

Why the hell do so many videogames use movie star actors for voices anyway. There's only like a million great voice actors out there.

A face made for radio... or voice acting.

I see a LOT of big names doing voice acting. Other than the big name games that push who is doing the voice acting (Kevin Spacey, Peter Dinklage, etc.), I think that some of them do it for fun and they enjoy it without the higher pay. Some you'd never know unless you were a fan or looked it up on IMDB.

What sucks is that the little guy needs to compete with those big names. Given a choice between Nathan Fillion or Joe Schmo, most studios would go with Nathan. Just for the name recognition.

I'll agree that not all voice talent deserve royalties. But strong voice acting really defines and solidifies a game, gives it its emotional voice. Can you imagine Portal without Ellen McLain? or Bioshock Infinite without Courtnee Draper? I'm all for those guys getting a cut of the game. Even the TF2 voice cast.

I'll agree that not all voice talent deserve royalties. But strong voice acting really defines and solidifies a game, gives it its emotional voice. Can you imagine Portal without Ellen McLain? or Bioshock Infinite without Courtnee Draper? I'm all for those guys getting a cut of the game. Even the TF2 voice cast.

I guess I am not understanding your position. You feel that the developer/publisher need to allocate a percentage of profits to the voice actors? You dont feel that deciding how someone else spends their money as odd? Voice actors are a good part of the game but what about the programmers? Audio engineers? Artists? Story writers? I mean the people that directed the voice actors and created their lines and fixed their audio recordings. And that is just a small slice of the pie...

SAG actors get residuals for their performances. (and reruns of their performances) I don't see this as any different. Why are video games the sole exception? Whether it's interactive or non-interactive, it's all entertainment media.

Back