Video Game Awards Muted By Google After Copyright Complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you missed the live 4K stream of the Video Game Awards last night and wanted to watch it today on YouTube, you are out of luck. It seems the audio track has been muted due to a copyright complaint. How funny is that? YouTube totally advertised this as one of it's premiere 4K streams...and then it instantly muted the video once it played. Good job YouTube. :(

The system is kind of wacked out. Hopefully things like this will force them to reconsider their methods. Maybe do something like Twitch does and mutes only the part with the offending audio, while leaving the rest of the audio playing.

With Googles servers they could just intelligently remove the audio, and leave the talking in.

That's YouTube alright "There is a 30 second clip of a copyrighted song in your 3 hour video! The entire 3 hours has been muted!"

The fun really starts when there is a small clip of a song in a long video, and the copyright owner decides to allow it, as long as they can place ads on the video... Then 2 months later demands the entire video be muted and they STILL run free ads on the video that no longer features any audio at all.

And it's all controlled by some automated piece of crap program.

That's YouTube alright "There is a 30 second clip of a copyrighted song in your 3 hour video! The entire 3 hours has been muted!"

The fun really starts when there is a small clip of a song in a long video, and the copyright owner decides to allow it, as long as they can place ads on the video... Then 2 months later demands the entire video be muted and they STILL run free ads on the video that no longer features any audio at all.

And it's all controlled by some automated piece of crap program.
It's why can't understand Youtube's copyright policy. Why is it one user will have copyright takedown's left right and center but another user can upload a whole song and no get dinged? Doesn't make any sense.

I like when I upload or stream a game for a couple hours to Youtube and get 20 copyright hits on it because Pandora was in the background.

It differs from rights holder, but most hits just want you to enable ads. Every so often a track will force a mute for that potion of the video. I had one of my own videos blocked for viewing in my country (which is fucking retarded) and I got the option to just mute those few minutes.

It's why can't understand Youtube's copyright policy. Why is it one user will have copyright takedown's left right and center but another user can upload a whole song and no get dinged? Doesn't make any sense.

Or people that upload entire tv shows and speed shift it by like 0.5% so it won't trigger the copyright scanners.

It's a sad state. Hopefully this causes them to out more effort into looking into this. This stuff has gotten pretty darn petty. I mean people watching this video are likely to buy some if the games they see featured. Muting the audio ensures no one watches it in the future.. Great plan by whoever filed the claim.

It's a sad state. Hopefully this causes them to out more effort into looking into this. This stuff has gotten pretty darn petty. I mean people watching this video are likely to buy some if the games they see featured. Muting the audio ensures no one watches it in the future.. Great plan by whoever filed the claim.
It was probably an automated bot. I wonder how much bandwidth is wasted to bots watching every single video on youtube. I'd be kind of pissed if I was paying for that bandwidth.

It was probably an automated bot. I wonder how much bandwidth is wasted to bots watching every single video on youtube. I'd be kind of pissed if I was paying for that bandwidth.

You are, in a sense. Your time is sold to advertisers who them pay for the bandwidth and computational power used for this.

More publicity for this automated idiocy can only be a good thing.
And the dispute process is pointless now. I'm pretty sure its an automated process as well. Some kind of "if keyword = complaint, close with reply = fuck you" algorithm on google's part.

You are, in a sense. Your time is sold to advertisers who them pay for the bandwidth and computational power used for this.
And you pay the advertisers with that cost being baked into the products you regularly buy. A nice big circular waste of resources for society.

Epic Fucking Fail

56087885.jpg

agree it was probably automated but either way it's a good middle finger to DMCA spammers anyways having to force google to put something like this in place to deal with all their requests.

They do have an alternative where they say "Your 3 hour video has 30 seconds of audio from Warner Music Group, so we will allow your video, but all revenue from commercials will now be given to Warner".

I don't know if this was covered here on [H], but Fox (probably automatic recognition) had this guys video from 2009 pulled on copyright grounds

Because in 2016, Family Guy used the EXACT clip from YouTube in one of their episodes.

After some coverage, the original video was "allowed" back on YouTube.

I don't know if this was covered here on [H], but Fox (probably automatic recognition) had this guys video from 2009 pulled on copyright grounds

Because in 2016, Family Guy used the EXACT clip from YouTube in one of their episodes.

oh my....

Talk about double standard. How is that different than me recording an ep of family Guy and illegally distributing it to millions of people? Fox stole that footage to profit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back