video game acting

jamhamm

[H]ard|Gawd
i knew i wasnt crazy!

i bought uncharted : drake's fortune way back when it first came out

for whatever reason i never played it - it just sat and sat and sat....

i recently picked up fallout 3 and in playing through the first hour or so i was really disappointed in the acting, the characters all pretty much stand there and deliver their lines... the situation could be completely bananas and their voices all hysterical... but they character themselves would just stand there, or make small movements...

anyway, fallout 3 isnt my thing, too wide open - gta4 - fallout 3 - far cry 2 - ive found that these arent my type of games

half life 2 - metroid prime - mario galaxy - zelda etc - those are my type games...

but back to it - so its turkey day and im doing a little spring cleaning... and what do i find? my copy of uncharted!

so in it goes to my shiny black paper weight - and 3 hours later im marveling at the quality of the acting [and the game itself for that matter...]

then i got to thinking about it - gears of war 1 and 2, resistance 1 and 2, even way back to half life 2... the acting has all been fluid and believable... we wont even talk about the opening playable intro to call of duty 4...

but fallout 3? how do you spend that much time and money on a game and in the finished product you have cardboard cut outs for characters?

Drakes Fortune was a great experience for myself although I never bought just rented due to it being so short.

If you don't like Oblivion you won't like Fallout 3.

To me Fallout 3 is all about exploration and gameplay, so I really don't pay much attention to the voice acting. I read what the character is saying and skip to the next before their done saying it most of the time. Lets be honest, the story in fallout 3 is a bit weak anyway. I do agree it sounds like it's being read right off a script, though it's certainly not near as bad as, say, the early Resident Evil games.

You like games that resemble interactive movies.

I'll admit that I also prefer to "follow the yellow brick road" through a single player story than I do to free roam a-la GTA or even Far Cry 2. I suppose the one advantage to linear gameplay is that the developers get far more control over the user experience, and can structure a more enjoyable SP campaign because of it.

Keep in mind that the old-school gamer grew up on games that were built around gameplay first, and story second. In this day and age, there are quite a few people who will tolerate substandard gameplay because the game has "amazing story". Others will pass on an action packed game because "the story sucks".

Beth just doesn't have much of an animation team

Agreed. Their art design is boring and generic looking imo. Graphics are not their strength. I found this in Oblivion and Fallout 3. Graphics are nothing without gameplay however.

Same. Fallout 3 is really good with the 360 controller (for pc or 360), it feels like it was built around the controller binds.

Their art design is boring and generic looking imo.
I'm pretty impressed with Fallout 3 so far. But Oblivion was about the most bland and uninspired fantasy setting imaginable.

Morrowind was a masterpiece in this regard. They must have lost a few talented people in the interim.

Back