• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video Encoding 6/8/12 core real/virtual chips

Spun Ducky

Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
757
So I am looking at doing an upgrade from my Q6600 and I have been looking at the I7 980 and the amd 1090T. I currently use convert x to dvd for burning movies/clips quickly to a disk without having to do much of anything other than drag and drop. I am wondering if this program or any other really takes advantage of some of these newer chips for this purpose?
 
i7 980x is the fastest chip available right now but the price is too high, you can buy three 1090T for that price and encoding three videos at once will be faster.
 
I just upgraded to the i860 (overclocked to 3.6Ghz), and the main problem I've found is that none of the video compression software seems to use more than 2-3 cores. DVD Shrink only loads my CPU to around 35%.

Compared to my old single core P4@3.73 Ghz, my worse case DVD shrink times went from 40 minutes to 8 minutes. I can even run 2 copies of DVD Shrink at the same time, with only about a 5% slowdown on each process, and still have 25% of the CPU left for email/web/etc :)

As for why I only overclocked to 3.6Ghz, I wanted something quieter. The chip runs fine at 3.8 on air, but runs at 3.6 with only a slight boost in voltage. It's cool enough that even if the room gets up to 85F in the summer I shouldn't need to worry about overheating, and the fans run slow & quite.
 
I just upgraded to the i860 (overclocked to 3.6Ghz), and the main problem I've found is that none of the video compression software seems to use more than 2-3 cores. DVD Shrink only loads my CPU to around 35%.

Compared to my old single core P4@3.73 Ghz, my worse case DVD shrink times went from 40 minutes to 8 minutes. I can even run 2 copies of DVD Shrink at the same time, with only about a 5% slowdown on each process, and still have 25% of the CPU left for email/web/etc :)

As for why I only overclocked to 3.6Ghz, I wanted something quieter. The chip runs fine at 3.8 on air, but runs at 3.6 with only a slight boost in voltage. It's cool enough that even if the room gets up to 85F in the summer I shouldn't need to worry about overheating, and the fans run slow & quite.

Handbrake uses all 6 of my cores. The x264 encoder(Handbrake is a front end for it a couple of other encoders) is very scalable.
 
Agreed - Handbrake will saturate all 8 threads of a I7-920, so looks to scale well.
 
Handbrake uses all 6 of my cores. The x264 encoder(Handbrake is a front end for it a couple of other encoders) is very scalable.

Only problem is that I'm not encoding x264, I'm encoding mpeg2 - DVDs.
 
Back
Top