Video Editing Software

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Freeware...

What's the best out there?

I'm using Vista Home Premium, just used MovieMaker in the past, but very disapointed how low quality it outputs (all I know is the DVDs that went into MovieMaker looked good on the TV, and the DVD MovieMaker outputted was pretty grainy)

This would output good quality?

My #1 issue with MM is the quality was ALWAYS deteriorated, no matter how I seemed to export it.

Video --> Direct stream copy will give you the exact same quality.

No, the "Direct stream copy" option in VirtualDub means when you save the resulting file, it will not alter the video stream at all - it will remain encoded with the original compressor used (aka a codec although that functions both ways). If you have a DivX clip and you cut it up and then save it again, as long as the "Direct stream copy" option is selected, VirtualDub won't bother trying to re-compress to another codec format or alter the original file's compression specs in any way.

It literally means "operate on this file the way I want, but don't fuck with the codec it's made with and save the results in the exact format as well..."

Or words to that effect. :)

Has nothing to do with DV which tends to just be recognized as yet another file format i.e. a codec.

No, the "Direct stream copy" option in VirtualDub means when you save the resulting file, it will not alter the video stream at all - it will remain encoded with the original compressor used (aka a codec although that functions both ways).

Very nice feature. I got crossed up before, I thought the comment "Direct stream copy" was with regards to MM.

Back