Video editing software - need something to cut & paste one AVI into several AVIs.

JaYp146

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay,

So I'm converting some VHS tapes to DVD as part of a Christmas present to my Dad.

Thing is, once each tape is done inputting to AVI, I've got myself a giant 2.5 hour video file with no bookmarks. Ideally, what I'd like to do is;

1. Divide large file into smaller files (ie. each scene becomes one smaller AVI)
  2. Recombine those smaller files into a program that organizes them into DVD chapters
  3. Finally, burn to DVD.

I've already acquired AVI2DVD for the "smaller files into chapters on a DVD" bit, so it looks like that's taken care of ... the big question remains, though:

How might I go about cutting out the individual scenes in the original file (and which program(s) should I use)?

Thanks in advance. :)

VirtualDub can easily edit out specific selections of video, that's a piece of cake. But it's not a video designer in terms of creating DVD ready media, that sort of thing. If you can do all your edits with VirtualDub then when you're happy with the resulting ready-to-be-authored-to-DVD file, it'll do a nice job. It's fairly simple to figure out, 1.3MB in size (the download archive, that is), free, and does stuff some of the biggest video editing packages can't touch.

Get more info at:

www.virtualdub.org

Back