Video cards for running 2 2560x1600 monitors

Tchesco

Limp Gawd
I'm in the process of building a workstation that will have to be capable of running 2 2560x1600 monitors at the same time.

The workstation I am building is a Dell T1600 workstation that has the following options for video cards:

4glvzr.png

Which of these would be capable of running the 2 monitors?

Intel HD Graphics!

Are you planning to do anything graphically intensive on these monitors?

Edit: the Intel HD Graphics thig was a joke btw,
Also the NVS300 has only one DVi port so you couldn't use just one. Not sure about the others .
I'll look into it.

Edit 2: HOLY HELL! One of the xeons you can put in that machine has a 4ghz stock turbo. I didn't know intel had released a chip spec'd at that.
And I really didn't expect it to be a xeon. Many xeons have slower clocks than 'i' series cpus.

Last edited:
Well, since most of the options have "DUAL MON" (Dual Monitor) and "QUAD MON" (Quad Monitor) written in the description of the option, I'd say pick any one of those.

Well, since most of the options have "DUAL MON" (Dual Monitor) and "QUAD MON" (Quad Monitor) written in the description of the option, I'd say pick any one of those.

What I thought, but that won't necessarily mean that they will support dual 30'

However NVS300 can support 2560x1600 with display port and it can support 2 display ports with a DMS59 to DisplayPort Cable Adaptor. This is still running out of a single DVi port so I'm leaning to think that it wont have the bandwidth.
I am unsure though.
All I know is that it isn't clear cut at these high resolutions.

Edit: Nice name.

What are the monitors, and what will you be doing with them?

2 Dell U3011 monitors.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=224-9949

Intel HD Graphics!

Are you planning to do anything graphically intensive on these monitors?

Edit: the Intel HD Graphics thig was a joke btw,
Also the NVS300 has only one DVi port so you couldn't use just one. Not sure about the others .
I'll look into it.

Edit 2: HOLY HELL! One of the xeons you can put in that machine has a 4ghz stock turbo. I didn't know intel had released a chip spec'd at that.
And I really didn't expect it to be a xeon. Many xeons have slower clocks than 'i' series cpus.

Yes, I'm mostly going to be doing 3D modeling with Autodesk Revit.

So which would be best suitable for Revit and the 2 monitors?

Just want to make sure you know that Revit runs on Direct X, so those Quadro gpus will do nothing for you except take more from your wallet. The only thing those workstation cards do better is OpenGL, which is not the case for your software.

Now some argue the support is better.. Not in my experience. It took AMD 3 weeks to get back to me on an issue, and it was a simple issue- I get better support for free. Those certified drivers are about useless as well, they are usually certified for outdated versions of software and all it means is that someone sat down and tested it and said "Yep, we got lucky, everything works okay". Not like they actually go and optimize anything. It's all a gimmick in my experience.

Just pick the fastest single gpu card you can get and it will do the best for you. It's all about single gpu direct x performance.

Edit: Just realized they don't offer you a single non workstation GPU. I'd call and see how much you could save by not putting one of those in there. Unless your company doesn't care what it costs, then just go with the one that is based off the fastest single gpu direct x card. That Quadro 2000, which is a rebadged GT 445M will be a bit slower than an HD3870 (That's pretty sad). You'll have a much better experience in Revit with a better and newer DirectX based card. I was using Microstation V8i (Direct X based) and I went through plenty of different video cards both workstation and "gamer" ones. Got the best experience out of the "gamer" ones since they have higher clocks and are geared towards the highest possible direct X performance.

Last edited:
I would go for a card with (at least) 2 DP on it, I have repeatedly run into problems getting dual-link DVI cables to actually push 2560x1600 resolution, it's an issue best avoided entirely if possible.

Just want to make sure you know that Revit runs on Direct X, so those Quadro gpus will do nothing for you except take more from your wallet. The only thing those workstation cards do better is OpenGL, which is not the case for your software.

Now some argue the support is better.. Not in my experience. It took AMD 3 weeks to get back to me on an issue, and it was a simple issue- I get better support for free. Those certified drivers are about useless as well, they are usually certified for outdated versions of software and all it means is that someone sat down and tested it and said "Yep, we got lucky, everything works okay". Not like they actually go and optimize anything. It's all a gimmick in my experience.

Just pick the fastest single gpu card you can get and it will do the best for you. It's all about single gpu direct x performance.

Edit: Just realized they don't offer you a single non workstation GPU. I'd call and see how much you could save by not putting one of those in there. Unless your company doesn't care what it costs, then just go with the one that is based off the fastest single gpu direct x card. That Quadro 2000, which is a rebadged GT 445M will be a bit slower than an HD3870 (That's pretty sad). You'll have a much better experience in Revit with a better and newer DirectX based card. I was using Microstation V8i (Direct X based) and I went through plenty of different video cards both workstation and "gamer" ones. Got the best experience out of the "gamer" ones since they have higher clocks and are geared towards the highest possible direct X performance.

OK so I will try to get my hands on the most powerful DirectX card that will work with the computers PSU.

I would go for a card with (at least) 2 DP on it, I have repeatedly run into problems getting dual-link DVI cables to actually push 2560x1600 resolution, it's an issue best avoided entirely if possible.

Sorry, does DP = DVI Ports?

Back