Video card with multiple restrictions... is there one that fits?

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
A few months ago I bought an mATX case from these boards and have decided the time is just about right to fill it with gear. I've decided on CPU and mobo, but the graphics card will require more thought.

My initial thought was to use the machine as a portable gaming rig and HTPC. For that I'm thinking moderate graphics power, and recently I've started a project that could potentially require output to 3 independent monitors. Is there a graphics card that can do all of this and work with a 350W PSU?

TL;DR - Is there a graphics card that satisfies the following:
  • works with 350W PSU
  • moderate heat output
  • adequate gaming performance
  • drive 3 independent displays

AMD 6670? It can drive up to 4 displays, ok gaming performance and I don't think it even needs a power cable (just power from PCI-E slot)

If your CPU does not consume too much power and the PSU's 12V rail is adequate, a Radeon 6850 (127W TDP) might work.

HD6670 fits the bill there. If your 350W PSU has a 6-pin connector, an HD6850 will also work. Just make sure you get a displayport adapter for the third display.

A molex -> PCIe 6-pin adapter will also work if you check that the PSU is rated to deliver enough current.

Thanks for the comments, everybody. Your suggestions were close to what I was thinking originally, and I think this 6750 should fit the bill (1 6 pin power connector, 3 outputs and still sufficient capability).

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161379

Am I correct in thinking that triple output requires at minimum 1x DVI, 1x HDMI and 1x DisplayPort? (The DP will need an active adapter for the third display) There are a few cards that use 1x DVI, 1x D-SUB and 1x HDMI and from what I learned before, only 2 of these outputs can be used at once.

Back