video card went whack, dead?

cowgod

Weaksauce
so i built a new system recently (about a month ago), and was playing some nfs:u 2 when all of a sudden the video froze, the sound went in a loop, and i had to press the reset button. when windows xp came back up, the screen was covered in green and pink lines. i recall seeing this once before on an older system and remember there being a problem with one of the ram sinks on the video card. see screenshot below:

jizzacked.jpg

i uninstalled the nvidia drivers (this is an xfx geforce 6600 gt), and when windows uses its default drivers, the lines go away. however, using any of the nvidia drivers (i tried 66.93 and the latest beta drivers--i was originally using the 66.93 ones when the system froze) results in what you see in the screenshot. should i just rma this video card?

kinda sucky that i've only had this card for a month.

cowgod said:
so i built a new system recently (about a month ago), and was playing some nfs:u 2 when all of a sudden the video froze, the sound went in a loop, and i had to press the reset button. when windows xp came back up, the screen was covered in green and pink lines. i recall seeing this once before on an older system and remember there being a problem with one of the ram sinks on the video card. see screenshot below:

jizzacked.jpg

i uninstalled the nvidia drivers (this is an xfx geforce 6600 gt), and when windows uses its default drivers, the lines go away. however, using any of the nvidia drivers (i tried 66.93 and the latest beta drivers--i was originally using the 66.93 ones when the system froze) results in what you see in the screenshot. should i just rma this video card?

kinda sucky that i've only had this card for a month.

Have you tried previous version of drivers to see if you get the same results? Do you have access to another video card to test it out?

i tried the next oldest driver release i had, 61.77, but i think those are too old. when i installed those, it didn't even recognize my video card.

unfortunately, since this is a pci-express graphics card, i do not have access to another one.

Turn off the system, pull the vid card out of your box, pull the mother board battery. After all that plug it back in and see if that works. I had the same thing happen to me and that fixed it.

It dosen't matter if he OC'ed it or not...It's Nunya

well, i went out and bought a bfg 6600 gt oc from best buy ($249 + tax, *ouch*), and it works just fine. if i can find some time, i'll try the battery deal, but i really think the xfx card just died on me. also, getting a hold of someone on the phone for an rma at xfx is absolutely horrible. i've called about five times and left messages with at least three people and not one person has called back so far. i'm not impressed with xfx at all. maybe that's why their card was $70 cheaper than bfg...

also, i wasn't overclocking.

Back