Video Card Value Upgrade Question

Kuromizu

Gawd
Ok, I've got my trusty x1900xt and I want to upgrade it on the cheap.

I have 2 options right now. They are:

Used 8800GT for $35

or

Refurb or open box XFX 4850 for $87

What are your opinions?

Depends how long you are keeping your system. If it is for a few months, the 8800GT should hold you over. But if you are planning on keeping your PC for a while longer, then go with the HD 4850.

Yeah, the 8800GT is good, but the HD4850 is a much more powerful card and honestly, I'd get the HD4850.

RGR that, thanks.

I do plan to keep it for a little while. If I upgrade anything now, I won't be upgrading to the 5xxx series. Maybe I can still hold out for those.

where can you get 8800gt for $35?
I might just get that and wait for 48xx series to drop down even more.

Probably a friend. I'm selling my 8800 GT (with Accelero S1) to friend and I just bought a 4890. He is upgrading from a 7950GT.

Probably a friend. I'm selling my 8800 GT (with Accelero S1) to friend and I just bought a 4890. He is upgrading from a 7950GT.
Haha I would guess so. Maybe it's time for me to call up some friends myself; someone probably has something lying around.

Haha I would guess so. Maybe it's time for me to call up some friends myself; someone probably has something lying around.

You might may someone's day. I've been drooling over cheap 4890/GTX 260's for a while but didn't want to do it unless I had a way to offload the 8800 GT and save a few bucks ;)

Either card will be a significant upgrade over your x1900xt. If you know for sure there's nothing wrong with that used 8800GT, it's a great card for that price - save yourself $50 and go for it.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=544&card2=566 - at a glance comparison

Both will do fine with "relatively modern games" - both are PCI express 2.0 spec and both are DX10 capable - other than DX10.1 there's little to no diff in capability. The 4850 would be the faster card but going by cost it won't be twice as fast as the half as expensive 8800GT. If the price of those two were similar I would say go for 4850, or have a look at the 4770's

Nobody asked so I will.
What are your other specs? Is your PSU good enough? Would you be CPU limited?

I would suggest the 8800gt ONLY because new 4850's go for under $100 and there was a slickdeal for under $85 recently. The $50 could help out on a new build if your older then Core/Phenom generation.

8800gt for 35 bucks is ridiculous. If you don't buy hook a brutha up! You could always buy it and turn around and flip it for 70 bucks.

The 4850 is better, but the 8800 is way better performance per dollar at that price and works good enough. I'd get the 8800.

Buy the 8800GT, sell it for a profit, then buy a 4870 512MB with the profit you've made. I think that would be the best option ;).

If it is a friend selling it to him for that low price, turning around and selling it at a higher price...

I'd ask if he had a problem you making a profit to grab a beefier card before stabbing him in the back. ;)

If it is a friend selling it to him for that low price, turning around and selling it at a higher price...

I'd ask if he had a problem you making a profit to grab a beefier card before stabbing him in the back. ;)
Well, it depends how good of a friend he is ;).

shoot me a pm if you dont take that $35 8800GT =D
Also you can get refurb/openbox 4850 from newegg for less than 80bucks(i just saw one for 73 dollar)

Ok, I've got my trusty x1900xt and I want to upgrade it on the cheap.

I have 2 options right now. They are:

Used 8800GT for $35

or

Refurb or open box XFX 4850 for $87

What are your opinions?

Real answer is what resolution monitor? 88GT can run a 1280x1024 with decent frame rates on all current games. If you got a big monitor then maybe the 4850 or better.

I ran the 8800GT at 1920x1200 for a long time and the only game that wasn't playable at decent settings was Crysis.

Back