Video Card Upgrading, Rumors, and Tight Budgets

Kuromizu

Gawd
I've made a few posts here and I've got a few upgrade options.

What got me thinking was the rumors floating around that ATI's new 40nm cards are still on track for September (despite low yield rumors). I've seen 4870 1GB cards as low as $120 and 4850's as low as $76 (open box).

I currently play on my trusty old x1900xt and a 24" 1920x1200 monitor.

I really only play source games right now (and the occasional free mmo) and my card is still working fine for that. However, if I had a better card, I would likely play games that my current card can't play.

Do you think I should hold out for the new stuff? Should I just score a 4870 now and hope that it'll be fine for the future?

if your budget is tight there really is nothing better for the money then the 4850 right now. can be had for well under a 100 AR. for myself I would get the 4870 1gb, it will last you quite a while and is well suited to your monitor size. also if your playing older games and such CFAA is a very nice option.

Also the GTX260 can be had for cheap and is no slouch.

there was an HIS 4850 512MB over the weekend for $89 AR free ship, definitely get something like that if it pops up again.

Save the cash and upgrade when you can buy mid+, if you're still using an X1900 then you don't upgrade too often and so you should invest in something a bit more powerful than a 4850.
Also, go for 1GB versions, or if Nvidia then at least the 896MB versions, with your Monitor res - you'll need it.

Back