Video Card Upgrade? Is it time? What should I get?

Palliser

Limp Gawd
Hello all -

Well it has been a while since I got a new video card, and it is definately time.

Here is what I have:
AMD 64 3000+ at 2.10
1 Gig of PC3200 DDR
Nforce 3-Ultra Motherboard

Here is what I need to upgrade from:
GeForce 4 Ti 64mb 8x

I have only about $130 to spend on one. Prefer Nvidia, but am open to suggestions. Any thoughts? Thanks!

~Pal

well most would tell you to wait and get one of the new cards, but i dont know if there gona make them in the agp flaver. i think you should get a 6600gt personally.

Cool. Yeah I recently did a minor system upgrade and wish I had more money for the pci-express motherboards. That will come in enough time though. I know my video card is a bad bottleneck for this system, so I know any upgrade will be worth it.

~Pal

I say wait until the geforce 7k comes out since everything below that gets a price drop. :)

You can get a 6600GT for about $150. It's really the best card for the money right now.

Hold off and wait for a few months and save up some more money for a R520 or G70 chip. Save up the money...it should be worth it.

r520 or g70 will cost an arm and leg and kidney at launch.. plus the guy said he only has 130.

best thing you can do is save up for a 6600gt.

he can wait for the mid range version of the 520 or g70. I would wait if i was you. If you have to get now get the 6600gt

BloodRayne said:
Hold off and wait for a few months and save up some more money for a R520 or G70 chip. Save up the money...it should be worth it.

its easy to suggest to wait a few months when you have a system like yours... you have to decide..if you wanna trade in playing for a few months in exchange for top-of-the-line cards or would you just rather be able to play games at decent or more-than-decent fps tomorrow...

your system is fine and unless you want to have the best 3dmark scores or plan on playing highest resolutions you would do fine with a 6600GT for good while...

if you're set at $130 and don't want to save anymore then probably go 9800pro, but if you don't mind saving a little more go 6600gt as mentioned.

Conker said:
I say wait until the geforce 7k comes out since everything below that gets a price drop. :)
QFT

6800GT's will be cheap pretty soon.

your other option is to shop Newegg's refurbished section. they all carry a warranty and I'm seeing 6600gt's in the for $130 ~ all the time.

If you can wait, do so, and you'll see the price drop. but thats *always* the case in the computer world. Lol... either way you win man.

Enjoy your gaming..

I highly reccomend the 6600gt. I have one myself.

Palliser said:
Hello all -

Well it has been a while since I got a new video card, and it is definately time.

Here is what I have:
AMD 64 3000+ at 2.10
1 Gig of PC3200 DDR
Nforce 3-Ultra Motherboard

Here is what I need to upgrade from:
GeForce 4 Ti 64mb 8x

I have only about $130 to spend on one. Prefer Nvidia, but am open to suggestions. Any thoughts? Thanks!

~Pal

Hold up, upgrade your mobo first. No ophense but nforce 3's are awful mobos

laxman144 said:
Hold up, upgrade your mobo first. No ophense but nforce 3's are awful mobos

Whats so bad about his mobo? do you think spending his $130 dollars on ANOTHER new mobo is going to be a huge performance increase?

I wasn't aware of any serious issues with any of the Nforce chipsets so point them out if I'm wrong.

Also another vote for 6600GT :D

If you can't bear the TI card you have now, get a 6600GT or if you can wait for more money to come in, grab an eVGA or BFG 6800. Or if you can wait even longer, get a 6800GT. I own the 6600GT and I think it borders being a great card but I feel that the 6800 with better AA/AF and higher resolutions would be a better choice.

well, if i was you, I would just overclock the crap outta that geforce4, wait for the newer generation to come out, 6800gt drops to 9800pro's price as of right now..and grab a 6800gt..or w/e is midrange then b/c... a 6600gt>9800XT which was last gen top of the line.

Agreed the 9800XT was a piece of crap compared to the next generation. The next generation's mid-range budget cards will probably be better than the now top of the line 6800 GTs and Ultras...

i don't know much about a leadtek but that is a good price when my choice of 6600GT is 174 bucks (the eVGA)...

if you can get more votes for leadtek, get it!

*EDIT* I spelled leadtek "leadtech" last time so i edited it ;)

Well I bit. Not a bad deal for $170 shipped plus the $20 mail in rebate. I've had a leadtek in the past and that card worked fine for me.

Yeah thats what I hear. I'm not a huge power gamer, WoW, some Doom 3 ocassionally. So its a pretty decent deal with that rebate.
~Pal

Back