Video card upgrade help needed...

JStudrawa

Limp Gawd
Coworker's 17 year old son has the following generic box from Best Buy, purchased 6/8/13...

ASUS CM1745-04 AMD A8/12BG/1T on the receipt. I found the following to show specs (far right PC):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...298369*1218818471131&catId=pcmcat212600050008

He wants to play Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, etc currently and of course whatever comes out over the next couple years if possible.

The MB has 1 PCI-E x16 slot but I am having trouble finding out what PSU it has, which can impact what GPU to get.

I'm going to try to get him to use PCWizard or CPU-Z this week to garner any additional information but I trust you all more.

So, at the end of the day, what's a good compatible video card to go with the specs of that machine?

Thanks, guys.

Found it on the Asus website

http://www.asus.com/Desktops/CM1745/specifications/

It says 350W peak.

It looks like it already has one of several possible GPUs

AMD® HD Graphics 1
NVIDIA® GeForce GT620 1GB/2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT625 2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT630 2GB
AMD® Radeon HD7350 1GB
AMD® Radeon HD7470 1GB
AMD® Radeon HD8350 1GB

That being said, a possible upgrade would be the Nvidia 750 GTX ti.

What this guy said is true, but with the newer games such as da and far cry, you need quad cores unless you want to do modifications.

People should really avoid getting these prebuilt machines, they use such lousy PSU's in them and purposely add intrusions to deny you from upgrading parts.

OP can you tell what is the amps on the +12v rail. It should be written on the label by the side of the power supply. thats very important to recommend a card.

Ouch, 350w peak?

Really need to know the rail volts as raghu78 mentioned before any sort of specific recommendation can be given.

I would suspect that the OP should be able to get away with a single pci-e pin card like the R9 265/270/270x or their older analogues. The 265/270/270X are all surprisingly efficient for the frames they produce. My 270s for example in miner config fully loaded struggled to break 120w. I had to take them up to 1150/1500 + a bios overvolt for that to happen.

check the voltages with a Multimeter when your playing a game...if the rails drop to much then that will lead to trouble

I had her bring in the PC last Friday. The PSU is indeed a 350W, but the rails are 13 each for the 12+ and 12-. Also, there are not 6 pin connectors for GPU's at all.

So I am recommending a 500W PSU as well as the GTX750ti for her.

Thanks all :) Can always count on Hard...

Back