Video Card Upgrade For The Dell Studio XPS 435MT

kage

n00b
Last week I ordered the Dell Studio XPS 435MT. Before deciding on the 435MT. I would like to know what video card upgrade should I get that will work with the stock PSU and that will be able to handle blu-ray movies well. Here are the specs on my 435MT:
1. Intel Core i7-920 processor
2. 6GB DDR3 SDRAM
3. ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
4. 500GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
5. Blu-ray Drive
6. 350 watt PSU

can you list make and model of the psu and also your budget? you might need to replace that psu in order to get a gpu that wont seriously bottleneck your cpu. 350W isnt much for an i7 build, and if its a crappy brand, then id recommend upgrading ir even if you keep your current video card. i assume youre not overclocking the cpu?

also, are you saying it doesnt play blu-ray movies very well right now?

4350 will play BR just fine

with the 350w PSU, you wont be getting much beyond a cheap $100 budget card.

I don't even see the reason to get an i7 if all you're going to use it for is movie playback and email. LOL.

Please tell us your intended usage for your computer as well as the resolution of monitor(s) you will be using with it.

A 4350 is very SLOW. Good enough for video playbook, but you'd get a jerky slideshow if you attempted to game on it.

The case is also smallish so that may limit your upgrade possibilities with video cards.
If you want to game on that machine, and with that psu, I'd go with a 4770 or 5770 at most.

Here's a review of the Dell.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/general-purpose-desktops/245356/dell-studio-xps-435mt

Last edited:
That system should play bluray like a champ, but if you still wan't to upgrade your options will probably be... 4650,4670,4770 or wait and see on a 5750.

A 4350 is very SLOW. Good enough for video playbook, but you'd get a jerky slideshow if you attempted to game on it.

Here's a review of the Dell.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/gener...udio-xps-435mt
I'm not going to play games with it, because I'm going to buy a Xbox 360 end of this month. Also the review is not updated. Dell fixed the fan noise with a firmware update to the bios a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
everyone here's recommendation: dont get a 360, and game on your pc. unless you really prefer console gaming, which you wont once you try it on the computer, then pc gaming is so much better. games are cheaper, theres (debatable) a better selection, its cheaper (in this case, since all you need is a vid card and psu) and you can play a wider variety of games. im not saying thats your only option, but you should consider it. your console would be out of date in a year or 2 when the next one comes out, but i7 is pretty top of the line right now and with minor upgrades could keep you going for 5 years easy.

anyway, again i ask if youre having trouble playing blu-ray discs. you shouldnt, and if youre not, then why do you want to upgrade? if you are having trouble with playback quality, then get a 4770 for $100. if you want to game on it, then get a psu for about $100, and a 4890 or so for $200 and youll have a superb gaming rig, much better than an xbox. let us know which route you want to go and we can make some specific suggestions of what to buy.

Yeah it's kind of insane to buy a computer of that caliber and get a 360. Unless you plan on playing with a bunch of your friends in your living room, do your self a favor and get a video card. I never use my Xbox 360 any more, however, I do use their wireless controllers with the computer adapter. The poster above is right, everything about playing games on the computer is much better than playing on a console.

Back