• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video card upgrade advice?

js1974

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
122
I'm debating on upgrading my GPU but I'm looking for some suggestions before I pull the trigger on it.

I'm currently using 3 VG248QE Monitors and my current video card is struggling with it most likely from VRAM issues but I know I need to upgrade. Before I was running dual Monitors and it was fine for that it's struggling with 3 Monitors. So on to the comparison and current options.

Right now I have a Nvidia Reference 660ti 2GB I can either buy another one and SLI the two 660ti's or I can just sell it and buy a 770 instead.

Opinions?
 
a 660 ti does not struggle because of lack of vram, its because its too weak to run modern games at 5760x1080. a 770 is not a massive upgrade and that resolution will still be a bit much for it too. you need to sell that 660 ti and get a 780 if you want to stand a chance in modern games at that res. you can add another 660 ti but then the vram will actually become an issue in some games.

also you should always list all of your specs in detail when starting a thread like this.
 
a 660 ti does not struggle because of lack of vram, its because its too weak to run modern games at 5760x1080. a 770 is not a massive upgrade and that resolution will still be a bit much for it too. you need to sell that 660 ti and get a 780 if you want to stand a chance in modern games at that res. you can add another 660 ti but then the vram will actually become an issue in some games.

also you should always list all of your specs in detail when starting a thread like this.

Ok so a solid 780 is going to run me around $400-$600 s a rough guess, If you could get a used 660 ti exact card that you have for $160 would you pull the trigger on SLI or look to sell the 660ti and drop the money on a 780?

It's a pretty large cost which is why I'm aiming for the SLI after all just barely bought the 3rd Monitor.

The rest of the system is fine but just for simplicity sake.

CPU - 3930k
MB - Extreme6
RAM - 16gb 2133
GPU - 660ti 2gb
 
I would think at that resolution you would want at least two GTX 770s if you want to get 45-60 frame rates in modern games. I have an i5 and GTX670 PE/OC which runs just about everything maxed out with said frame rates, but I am only on 1920x1080.

You would also want at least 3GB of video RAM to. IMO, either spend the money and get the new GPUs or sell the monitors and go back to a single one.
 
I was in the exact situation that you were in just 2 weeks ago or so.
I sold my 660ti locally on craigslist, since I still had the box and everything to go along with it I was able to get 220 for it, citing good overclocks and cooling. It was a Galaxy GC 2gb one and I listed it at 220 right off the bat. Sold in 1 day.
Then I picked up a gtx 780 for 400 off craigslist.

In terms of performance, take a look here and take note of overclocked 780 and 670sli: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...round-a-short-lol-review.187367/#post-2943279
And look also here: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/31/galaxy_geforce_gtx_660_ti_gc_3gb_sli_review/1#.UpPXScS1HAw

I figure that worst case is you get 180-200 for your card if your local craigslist is like mine, then get the MSI 780 for 480 off newegg right now, then sell off the games that come with it for ~60.
It works out similar to the 660ti sli, but I think It is better than the temporary SLI solution. And If it doesnt work out, a 780 is always worth 420, so you can sell that and go for something else.
I just think that the 780 after selling the games off is your best bet because money is your main consideration. i am quite happy with mine.... and lets just say money was tight for my change as well.
Good luck :)
 
I was in the exact situation that you were in just 2 weeks ago or so.
I sold my 660ti locally on craigslist, since I still had the box and everything to go along with it I was able to get 220 for it, citing good overclocks and cooling. It was a Galaxy GC 2gb one and I listed it at 220 right off the bat. Sold in 1 day.
Then I picked up a gtx 780 for 400 off craigslist.

In terms of performance, take a look here and take note of overclocked 780 and 670sli: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...round-a-short-lol-review.187367/#post-2943279
And look also here: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/31/galaxy_geforce_gtx_660_ti_gc_3gb_sli_review/1#.UpPXScS1HAw

I figure that worst case is you get 180-200 for your card if your local craigslist is like mine, then get the MSI 780 for 480 off newegg right now, then sell off the games that come with it for ~60.
It works out similar to the 660ti sli, but I think It is better than the temporary SLI solution. And If it doesnt work out, a 780 is always worth 420, so you can sell that and go for something else.
I just think that the 780 after selling the games off is your best bet because money is your main consideration. i am quite happy with mine.... and lets just say money was tight for my change as well.
Good luck :)

Great thanks for the good information, Lucky for me a friend of mine bought the exact same card as I did and we're going to SLI his and mine and see how it performs and then make the decision 660 SLI or 780.
 
Unless your just an Nvidia fan then no way I could tell anyone to buy a 770GTX at it's current price because many of us have bought the R9-290 for $386 and the cheapest 770GTX is $329 and that $57 dollar different is a heck of alot in performance.
 
Unless your just an Nvidia fan then no way I could tell anyone to buy a 770GTX at it's current price because many of us have bought the R9-290 for $386 and the cheapest 770GTX is $329 and that $57 dollar different is a heck of alot in performance.
there are 770 models for 300 bucks and slightly under. sell the 3 games and that's 250-260 bucks in the end. a 770 is not the card he needs though for that massive resolution.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top