• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video card to run CS:source perfect

EOL

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
24
I want to run cs source and i dont want to have gay fps

can i get away with the radeon 9800pro/ 6800nu or am i gonna need a gt/x800
 
Theres no real way of knowing for sure until the game is released, but I think the minimum specs were something along the lines of 1.2ghz cpu, 256mb memory, and a 64mb video card-- don't quote me.
 
it'd be nice if anyone who's friends with a Cyber Cafe owner (or a Cyber Cafe owner themself) could do some CS:S Beta benchmarking with some cards. Right now Valve has the CS:S Beta up and live for subscribers of their cyber cafe service. owners of CZ and ATI Voucher cards (came with 9800xt's) will be part of the test starting the 18th (preloading starts the 16th).
 
fromage said:
It's a DX9 game. Doesn't ATi dominate DX9 platform?

on current DX9 stuff ATI usually comes out on top. Sometimes dominant, sometimes marginally, and sometimes it gets beat. It's generally better with DX9 ..... however HL2/Source will have a SM3 render path available of some sort, so who knows which card will come out on top. My guess is it'll be very similar to how FarCry turned out. At 1600x1200 /w lots of AA/AF the ATI cards will take a good lead. At lesser resoultions/filtering the gap will close and most likely the 1st place will trade back and forth.
 
i would say a gf4 ti 4600 or radeon 9600 pro could run it perfectly on a 2ghz machine and 512 ram.

1024x768 with high settings even some AA/AF, im sure it will run jsut fine.

if you want 1600x1200 maybe a 9800 pro/xt or 6800NU -> but the 9600pro will prolly still run the game at this res, mabye not 60 solid but playable prolly.

seriuously I dont think the game will take too many resources. I mean the leaked hl2 beta ran perfect on my gf4ti 4200 1.7ghz and 512 ram system at 1024x768. And it can only run better in the final version i would say.
 
fromage said:
It's a DX9 game. Doesn't ATi dominate DX9 platform?

No.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/leadtek_winfast_a400_ultra_tdh/default.asp

The 6800U is just as good as the X800XT PE for DX9 games. Its just a matter of which ones you play. As you can see in those benches the 6800U is performing as well and better then the PE at 1280x1024 with AA + AF. At 1600x1200 the X800XT PE sometimes performs better with AF enabled. Without AF enabled the 6800U usually wins.

The 6800 is a better choice because of being as fast the the X800's in DirectX and faster in OpenGL. nVidia cards also have better driver support.

I would go with a 6800nu myself. They overclock real well and should give you plenty of performance. The 6800nu beats the 9800 pro hands down so thats not really a question of which to get between those two.

nVidia is getting ready to release a 6600 and 6600GT in the next week or two though so you might check into that. They will be at the $200 price point.
 
I would wait until the game releases and we see real world performance numbers on a final product instead of relying on alpha code tests done in the past. A lot has changed, that you can be sure of. That way you don't make a bad decision.
 
fromage said:
It's a DX9 game. Doesn't ATi dominate DX9 platform?

They hold their own that's for sure and win in many cases, but don't lead like Nvidia does in Doom3
 
burningrave101 said:
No.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/leadtek_winfast_a400_ultra_tdh/default.asp

The 6800U is just as good as the X800XT PE for DX9 games. Its just a matter of which ones you play. As you can see in those benches the 6800U is performing as well and better then the PE at 1280x1024 with AA + AF. At 1600x1200 the X800XT PE sometimes performs better with AF enabled. Without AF enabled the 6800U usually wins.

The 6800 is a better choice because of being as fast the the X800's in DirectX and faster in OpenGL. nVidia cards also have better driver support.

I would go with a 6800nu myself. They overclock real well and should give you plenty of performance. The 6800nu beats the 9800 pro hands down so thats not really a question of which to get between those two.

nVidia is getting ready to release a 6600 and 6600GT in the next week or two though so you might check into that. They will be at the $200 price point.

I'm wondering how the 6600 will compete with the 6800LE reviewed @ t-break:
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=325

Will it be close at all? B/c t-break speculated the 6800LE being around the $200 price point, and now there's the 6600 announcement...so what's going on?
 
Mav451 said:
I'm wondering how the 6600 will compete with the 6800LE reviewed @ t-break:
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=325

Will it be close at all? B/c t-break speculated the 6800LE being around the $200 price point, and now there's the 6600 announcement...so what's going on?

The 6800LE is suppost to be an OEM product but a few may hit retail. The 6600 and 6600GT will be retail and i believe they will come in both PCI-E and AGP flavors since nVidia has a bridge on their PCI-E cards where as ATI has a native PCI-E card.
 
if that happens, then I'm good to go :)

I considered the 9800 Pro, but now that a cheaper "6800" is close to release + the fact that I have a beefy PSU to boot, I'm gonna save a few extra bucks for the 6600. Now I need to wait prolly a few weeks after the release for some other [H]ard members to be guinea pigs in finding one that OCs well :)
 
Mav451 said:
I considered the 9800 Pro, but now that a cheaper "6800" is close to release + the fact that I have a beefy PSU to boot, I'm gonna save a few extra bucks for the 6600.

The 6600's should be in the same price range as buying a 9800 pro.

Max451 said:
Now I need to wait prolly a few weeks after the release for some other [H]ard members to be guinea pigs in finding one that OCs well :)

What, you dont like being the guinea pig? lol :p
 
R1ckCa1n said:
A lot has changed, that you can be sure of. That way you don't make a bad decision.


Alot may have changed but I highly doubt enought has changed to cripple any of Nvidias hardware to the point of unacceptable play in any way shape or form, it would just not make any sense for the to fuck over a large amount of their user base.
 
unless valve uses different code paths for the cards they will be very close
 
I'm sure that anything higher than a Radeon 9500 pro will run games in the Source engine perfectly.
 
Yeah don't expect it to pound our systems like the Doom 3/Far Cry engines.
 
HL2 gameplay will own D3

Not simply stating it because of my own opinion but look at CS:S. People flocking over from a game 5 years old and still kickin will most definitely pound D3's spotlight.

But back on subject: Yes pretty much any card made in the last year or 2 (give or take) will run it quite nicely. Just a probability. :p
 
After running and beating DooM 3 at 1280x1024 high details, I know for a FACT half life 2 will run smooth as butter on a 9800p! Sorry, but HL2 is no where NEAR doom 3 or far cry in terms of graphics..
 
Back
Top