Video card to Power Supply Question

antipunt1

Limp Gawd
Hi Hardforum,

So recently you guys helped me pick a new video card. I also spiced things up with a new monitor (thanks!)

Quick question about powering the thing up (card is listed in my sig). The card has an 8 pin input, but for whatever reason, my power supply seems to have only a 6 pin input (that fits) plus a 2x1 pair kind of dangling from it (insert immature joke here). The last 2 x 1 can't be pushed in all the way. I was really confused, but tried to boot up with just the 6 pin plugged in, and the card works fine. Or so it seems? Is this going to botch my card?

It's not going to botch the card, but it's possible the card won't reach it's full potential without the extra power.

The 2x1 pins should go in just fine, try it again.

Sometimes the 6 + 2 design has a way for the two connectors to interlock to make an 8 pin. Look for a groove on it. If it has the groove and you aren't using it then the pins won't fit into the card properly. It should only go but one way into the video card power plug regardless if it has the groove or not.

And the other thing about those 6+2 is that you likely need to put them together before inserting the entirety into the receptacle on the GPU.

Back