Video Card suggestions

FXDawg

Gawd
Okay, i don't want to spend $4500 on a "Professional" video card. I do a lot of Autodesk stuff. Navisworks, AutoCAD MEP mostly. I looking to upgrade my video card for the rig in my siggy. What would realistic options be? I'm willing to spend like $400 to maybe $700

Thanks guys

There is this deal that caught my eye but, I'm not sure if this is a good choice for me

From my personal experience, I've always had better results with NVIDIA cards with professional software. Also more and more applications are adding CUDA acceleration, so it's worth at least considering.

That Sapphire Radeon HD 7990 6GB is a dual GPU card, dual GPU cards don't have as much benifits in applications as they do in games, so I'd suggest just sticking with a single GPU card.

hm... I already ordered it and they say I can no longer make changes...I'll get hit with a 15% restock fee if i cancel now...

I imagine I'll get improved performance over my current 6970...

Why would you make a thread if you've already ordered the 7990?...

I guess he couldn't wait until end of the day for the purchase...Looks like you are stuck now...

I agree with PcZac. NVIDIA is like a go-to place for industrial applications.

yea, I watched the one come up for sale on amazon and disappear in about an hour and I felt I missed out. I was afraid this one would sell out too...

I made the post in the morning and bought in the afternoon...

there was a guy on the hot deals thread that posted he had one and worked in some Autodesk software but not what i use specifically. Then I watched a video saying this was the fastest single card available...

I guess I'll see, right. In the end I got an $800 card for $531

It turns out I can simply refuse the shipment and they send it back and I end up paying the $6,xx in shipping. So, no big deal in getting another card.

So, the question remains; Is there a better card for the money I should be looking at.

the 7990 is $530
The GTX 780 titans are $700
the GTX 780s are $500
the R9 290Xs can be had for $550
the R9 290 is $400

I think Titan would do. You can buy it for 650 bucks on the forums.

You mean used?

I usually run autocad on one monitor and navisworks on a 2nd monitor simultaneously and adobe acrobat on the 3rd monitor for reference drawings while modeling.

Does that change anyone's views?

I'm still on the fence about the 7990. If the 2nd GPU only kicks in with full screen, that really doesn't work if I'm running one program on one monitor and another on a 2nd and 3rd. would I really only be tapping into the performance of a single 7970?

Is there any truth to this statement?

If that is the case, it is kind of a waste. I can pick up a 7970 for $259 after rebate on NE

Is there any truth to this statement?

Okay, I just want to share my conclusion. This all started because I saw that ridiculous price on the 7990!

There are some articles around discussing and testing consumer grade cards on CAD programs. It seems that the Titan would be the best. Not the GTX 780ti but the GTX Titan. Thats $1000 and tests faster than even the highest end "professional" card at about $5000! Apparently in may not be as precise in rendering as the other cards but, I don't need that kind of precision. So it seems the sweet spot here would be the GTX 770 4GB. I found one on NE for $369 after rebate. So, the reason I come to the gtx 770 is that it is using the same GPU as the GTX 680, which came in not to too far below the Titan in one of the tests I saw. I opted away from the new GTX 780 and GTX 780ti because another test claimed that the the titan and the gtx 680 performed better in the CAD application.

In the end, the GTX 770 is an improved upon GTX 680 and I figure I'll go for the 4gb version to future proof it a bit and it really isn't that much more. I think the best price I could find on the 2GB version is $329.

So, my impatients nearly cost me $200 I did not need to spend on a card that, was an amazing deal as a gaming card, didn't fulfill my essential needs for 3D modelling as well as the lesser expensive card.

Thanks for all the comments and advise! I'll return the 7990 to newegg and wait for the refund and see how we're doing on prices then. Of course, I'll be very close to black Friday at that point and may wait and see what prices that would bring.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what GTX 770 4GB I should be looking at?

Back