Video card solution for 5760x1080?

I'm running two core 216 GTX 260s, but the bandwidth just isn't there for most games. While I've been fine playing at 1080p for the past few months, with AMD's HD 6990 around the corner, it's time to start thinking about an upgrade. An added benefit of the single card is that it's cheaper to water cool.

What other solutions should I be looking at for around $500? AA isn't my biggest concern, but I will use 2-4x when the headroom is there.

It's going to be an expensive card. Two full-on HD6990s we now learn (as opposed to previous pure guesswork). Two cards have always been better value than their equivalent dual card, as the premium is applied for various reasons.

That's what I'd been thinking, but the 6990 preview is tempting me to wait on the MSRP.

It'll be $600+ I'd be willing to bet. Considering you can get a pair of 2GB 6950s for less than $500 now and they will likely OC just as well if not better than the 6990...

It'll be $600+ I'd be willing to bet. Considering you can get a pair of 2GB 6950s for less than $500 now and they will likely OC just as well if not better than the 6990...

This.

I'd be willing to bet $600msrp and if it's anything like the 5970 you won't be able to find it under $700 for 6+ months.

The only advantage is that if you're water cooling you only need 1 block.

It's going to be an expensive card. Two full-on HD6990s we now learn (as opposed to previous pure guesswork). Two cards have always been better value than their equivalent dual card, as the premium is applied for various reasons.

Well, I wouldn't be running two 6990s, just one. AFAIK, crossfire doesn't scale past 2 GPUs anyway, so that'd be pointless.

I probably will want to WC the card(s) soon after buying them, as most modern cards are just plain loud, so there's the benefit of paying $100 less or so for blocks. Am I wrong in thinking the dual GPU solution will be easier to resell? If nothing else, the 6950s ought to go down in price with more cards in the mix.

Nah, resale should be similar, you'll just be looking for 2 buyers. Though really in this crowd a motherboard without 2 or 3 16x slots is the exception, not the rule anymore.

Well, I wouldn't be running two 6990s, just one. AFAIK, crossfire doesn't scale past 2 GPUs anyway, so that'd be pointless
It does actually. I ran 4870X2 CF for two years with relatively minimal issues. It scaled well in a large number of the titles I played.

Back