• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

video card recommendation

Leright

2[H]4U
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
2,604
I al looking to spend no more than $500 on a video card setup. I was thinking about going with a single 6800ultra, but then I got thinking about dual 6600gts in SLI...what would be quicker? Should I just get a single ultra and then add another lateR? Thanks.
 
One Ultra will be quicker overall than the dual-core Gigabyte card. Add another one later and it'll be much faster.

According to your sig though, you have dual 1600+ CPUs and presumably no SLI motherboard. Are you in the process of upgrading all of this stuff?
 
Leright said:
I al looking to spend no more than $500 on a video card setup. I was thinking about going with a single 6800ultra, but then I got thinking about dual 6600gts in SLI...what would be quicker? Should I just get a single ultra and then add another lateR? Thanks.

Single 6800 Ultra is faster than 6600GT SLI

However two of these in SLI should be faster than an Ultra:

MSI 6800 256mb
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-149&depa=0
 
i say just get the BFG 6800gt OC, runs any game at full settings has a lifetime warranty and is just freakin amazin go to the gaming section and check out my farcry screenshots if those dont sell you then idk what will.
 
mulpsmebeauty said:
One Ultra will be quicker overall than the dual-core Gigabyte card. Add another one later and it'll be much faster.

According to your sig though, you have dual 1600+ CPUs and presumably no SLI motherboard. Are you in the process of upgrading all of this stuff?
yup. :D I am selling the whole computer, with my 15" CD and external HDD. I am going with all new stuff.
 
If you have the cash, get the Ultra. Yes it's not as good value as the GT, but it IS faster.

I hear that it's a struggle to find either card in PCI-e at the moment though.
 
mulpsmebeauty said:
If you have the cash, get the Ultra. Yes it's not as good value as the GT, but it IS faster.

I hear that it's a struggle to find either card in PCI-e at the moment though.

By the time I build this rig I bet there will be more PCI-e ultras.
 
I say get the 6800GT OC and overclock it...spend the rest of the money on something else...
 
darktiger said:
I say get the 6800GT OC and overclock it...spend the rest of the money on something else...

Reasonable, otherwise I say get an x800 XTPE. Since it is infact faster than the 6800 ultra.

~Adam
 
CleanSlate said:
Reasonable, otherwise I say get an x800 XTPE. Since it is infact faster than the 6800 ultra.

~Adam

I dunno...having the ability to add another ultra in a year in an SLI setup would be nice.
 
It's not a bad idea but the xtpe is still better stand-alone. A hard choice really.

~Adam
 
CleanSlate said:
It's not a bad idea but the xtpe is still better stand-alone. A hard choice really.

~Adam

I could get an ultra extreme for less than a xtpe....
 
Back
Top