• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video Card Recommedation

Artanis

n00b
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
28
I'm trying to decide on a new video card, but I haven't really been keeping up with them much lately. My trusty old 9800gt died yesterday and after loosing my 285 a year or so back, I want to get something decent to replace it with. My budget is $150-200ish, my last semester of college is starting again here soon and I don't want to spend too much. I would like a card with at least 1 display port, one of my monitors supports it and I would love to go to 3 monitors. (22" and 24"'s)

I am thinking of this card here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

I am also looking at 560's but those don't support more than 2 monitors if i'm not mistaken.

Any thoughts on the AMD card there? I haven't bought a AMD card as my main GPU before. If you have any other recommendations, i'm open ears.
 
Buy a used 6950, especially one that unlocks to 6970 shaders. People sell them all the time on here for around $150 or a little more. I bought a used one on here last week for $130 and one a couple months ago on another forum for $150.
 
I have had really bad luck buying used stuff, would rather stick to new if I can help it.
 
At this budget pay an extra 20$ and watch your computer max games out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

gtx 480's run hot as shit. but they were made to operate at high temperatures. buy this and you will not be sorry.

unfortunately it does not support 3 monitors you will have to look for AMD cards for that.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987

^ this isnt a bad deal but if you plan on gaming with 3 monitors you will be unhappy with the performance.
 
The 6950 is your best bet for running 3 screens at your listed price range. I was able to run 3 23" 1080p displays with my 6950, without AA of course.
 
Thanks guys, I found a 6950 2gb for a decent price. I don't really want to game on 3, although racing games might be fun....However, do I do intend to work on 3.
 
I'm trying to decide on a new video card, but I haven't really been keeping up with them much lately. My trusty old 9800gt died yesterday and after loosing my 285 a year or so back, I want to get something decent to replace it with. My budget is $150-200ish, my last semester of college is starting again here soon and I don't want to spend too much. I would like a card with at least 1 display port, one of my monitors supports it and I would love to go to 3 monitors. (22" and 24"'s)

I am thinking of this card here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

I am also looking at 560's but those don't support more than 2 monitors if i'm not mistaken.

Any thoughts on the AMD card there? I haven't bought a AMD card as my main GPU before. If you have any other recommendations, i'm open ears.

6950 2GB for $199.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987

That's what I would get. I wouldn't think about a 1GB video card now.
 
Back
Top