• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video Card Question with WoW

ChuckDees

n00b
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
42
Just had a quick question regarding performance between two video cards with World of Warcraft.

I am building a new PC for my wife and she wants to start playing and I am looking at the following two video cards:

Leadtek A400 TDH Geforce 6800 128MB

Leadtek A6600 GT TDH Geforce 6600GT 128MB

I am wanting a pretty good constant framerate around high 30s to high 40s at 1280X1024 with all settings on high.

Would the 6600GT suffice or would I be better off with the 6800NU?

I will be running a A64 3000 (754) with 1GB PC3200 if that helps at all.

Thanks
 
My girlfriend and I both have 6600GT's and we run WoW wonderfully. WoW can run on a geforce4 mx if it has to!
WoW likes memory a lot. Load up with 512 at the least.
 
get the 6800 reading some of the reviews, they were able to unlock the extra pipes in the card.

I run wow great on my 9600xt (though only 1024x768, all my cheapo lcd can take). 6600gt should be even better..
 
I don't really plan on unlocking the pipes at least until the card starts to show it's age.

If you don't mind me asking what types of resolutions and settings do you use?

_Sin_ already answered part of it. :p
 
I decided on the 6800. It will probably be better at higher resolutions like 1280x1024.
 
peepingdan said:
My girlfriend and I both have 6600GT's and we run WoW wonderfully. WoW can run on a geforce4 mx if it has to!
WoW likes memory a lot. Load up with 512 at the least.

I don't play WoW, but really these days 1GB of ram is a minimum, and 2GB is better.

==>Lazn
 
You really wont get a difference between 1 gig and 2 gigs in most applications unless you do heavy photoshoping or 3d rendering. I always tell people to save money if they just want to play games and get 512 minimum.
 
peepingdan said:
You really wont get a difference between 1 gig and 2 gigs in most applications unless you do heavy photoshoping or 3d rendering. I always tell people to save money if they just want to play games and get 512 minimum.

2GB over 1GB made zone loading noticeably faster in EQ2.

512 I would not want to even think about, your drive would never stop swapping in a MMORPG that has any detail in it's maps.

==>Lazn
 
my 9600xt also plays 1024x768 with most settings up. Actually in MMORGs the 2 gigs probably would help. Whenever I hit orgrimmar my raid 0 raptors read pretty heavily and I have a gig of low latency ram. 2 Gigs isnt that bad of an idea, never hurts. Why not unlock the pipes from the start? more performance in the long run.
 
Back
Top